We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth the drive to visit Devil's Tower

Lenexa, Kansas
Level Contributor
2,658 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth the drive to visit Devil's Tower

We are planning a day to drive from Hill City to Deadwood and Sturgis. Is it worth the drive to visit Devil's Tower? I know this would make a longer day.

Mentioned in this post
Hill City
Hill City
South Dakota
Deadwood
Deadwood
South Dakota
Sturgis
Sturgis
South Dakota
South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth the drive to visit Devil's Tower

I'd do Devil's Tower over Deadwood and Sturgis, but that's just my personal interests.

If this is the only trip you're ever making to the area, I'd do Devil's Tower. If you plan on going to, say, Yellowstone in the future, it can be done as a detour on the way to Yellowstone if coming from the east. So, if Yellowstone is in your future, you could save it for a later trip.

Mentioned in this post
Deadwood
Deadwood
South Dakota
Sturgis
Sturgis
South Dakota
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,119 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth the drive to visit Devil's Tower

I completely agree that I'd include a ride to Devil's Tower in favor of Deadwood, and especially Sturgis.

I would also include the drive through Spearfish Canyon over the other 2 towns as well. It's a gorgeous drive with a couple of short hikes to worthwhile waterfalls (Spearfish & Roughlock).

Mentioned in this post
Deadwood
Deadwood
South Dakota
Spearfish Canyon
Spearfish Canyon
588 Reviews
Spearfish, SD
Spearfish
Spearfish
South Dakota
Sd
Level Contributor
300 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth the drive to visit Devil's Tower

We live in south dakota and just last month made a trip to devils tower. Yes it is worth the trip.

We did learn that we drove by the fish hatchery in spearfish and miss seeing something special there. Guess that means another trip west river. Custer state park is a must!

Mentioned in this post
Custer State Park
Custer State Park
4,698 Reviews
Custer, SD
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,119 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth the drive to visit Devil's Tower

Yes, the DC Booth Fish Hatchery is awesome, and FREE!

Bryans Road
Level Contributor
4,640 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth the drive to visit Devil's Tower

We did Devil's Tower when we left Deadwood heading west to Yellowstone. I'd definitely recommend it! Can't beat what Mother Nature has created. Spend some time watching the prairie dogs while you are there.

Mentioned in this post
6. Re: Is it worth the drive to visit Devil's Tower

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2015, 15:15
Get answers to your questions about Deadwood
Recent Conversations