We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hill City area activities

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Hill City area activities

We will be spending 2-3 days in the Black Hills enroute to Yellowstone.

We plan to spend 1 complete day in Custer State Park driving the wildlife loop road, horseback riding and maybe doing a short hike.

Of course we will be at Mt. Rushmore and see the lighting 1 night.

Is the 1880 train worthwhile? I have been on the Durango-Silverton ride and loved it. I would guess the Hill City is a much simplier, flatter ride, but should we include it.

Also, is driving through Spearfish Canyon on the way to Yellowstone a good idea. We plan to also visit Devil's tower and make it 1/2 way between the Black Hills and Yellowstone on that day.

Thanks for any help. This whole sight has great information.

Grand Island...
Level Contributor
167 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hill City area activities

The 1880 Train Ride is one of my favorite things to do.

Driving the Spearfish Canyon is a great idea. Wonderful scenery.

Make sure you take in at least one cave!

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hill City area activities

Don't forget the Needles Highway in CSP. My favorite hike is the Cathedral Spires trail.

Yes, Spearfish Canyon is worth it. It won't take a you much longer--depending on how often you stop.

1880 Train--some people love it and some don't. You can see most of the route from a car on an adjacent road--Old Hill City Road. It's not spectacular scenery but it's OK. If you like train rides, go for it.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,874 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hill City area activities

We rode the train and enjoyed the ride, but I wouldn't put the train high on the list of things to do. Since you are only in the area 2-3 days, I would probably choose something else. There's so much to see and do in the hills that I would probably see Crazy Horse or as Gibby said, take in at least 1 cave. Wind and Jewel are best and are run by the National Park Service; however there are many privately operated caves in the area.

I would definitely include Spearfish Canyon on the way. It's a beautiful drive. You will love Devil's Tower. It was one of my favorite sights. I would plan on spending a couple of hours at the Tower. Make sure you walk the loop around the base.

You will love Yellowstone also. It's my favorite place. Be sure to take in the Tetons if you have time. Both parks are filled with wildlife.

Have a wonderful trip!

South Dakota
Level Contributor
144 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hill City area activities

I would definitely recommend Spearfish Canyon. It is beautiful and usually you get to see a variety of wildlife. Plus at the end there is a little area for picnicking - called Roughlock Falls, there is a waterfall there and some small rapids - enough to cool down on a hot summer day.

san francisco, ca
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Hill City area activities

Sounds like you are hitting all the best sites.

1880 train is great. Good views and lots of history - our kids really enjoyed.

Custer State Park and Rushmore also a must. Spearfish Canyon was nice but a bit out of the way.

If you are planning on staying half way to Yellowstone you might consider Sheridan Wyo. as your stop. Close to Big Horn Mtns. and Custer's last stand.

6. Re: Hill City area activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 21:17
Get answers to your questions about Hill City
Recent Conversations