We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wind cave, jewell cave

London, United...
Level Contributor
493 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
wind cave, jewell cave

how far are these NPs from hill city thanks for any info.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wind cave, jewell cave

According to Mapquest, Jewel is about 40 minutes, and Wind is about 45 minutes. They are both spectacular and should not be missed. Some things to keep in mind:

Jewel is a very open cave...colorful with some wonderful stalactites and stalagmites. The formations are amazing. We took the Scenic tour. It was about 2 hours and I wished it could have been longer. Jewel is the 2nd longest known cave in the world, 2nd only to Mammoth in Kentucky.

Wind Cave is more closed in and is known for its Boxwork. Boxwork reminds me of spider webs. It's a rare formation and quite interesting. We took the Fairgrounds Tour. It also was about 2 hours. If you are claustrophobic, I don't know if I would recommend Wind Cave. We loved it; however, one of our tour members had to leave very shortly into the tour due to feeling "closed in." The tour does not include a lot of stooping, squatting, etc, but there are some narrow passages in some places.

The national parks website says the tours are strenuous, but as long as you can go up and down steps, you will be fine. We did not find them strenuous at all.

The rangers do an excellent job in telling the history of the caves and explaining the formations.

Be sure to visit nps.gov to get a sneak peek at some of the formations you will see at each cave. The tours are explained here also. If you are going at a busy time (summer), you might want to consider advance tour reservations, especially for Jewel Cave. We had to wait a couple hours to get on the scenic tour.

You will have a wonderful time at both places. Enjoy!

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: wind cave, jewell cave

slrtravel gave good info.

The actual drive time is probably about 25-30 minutes to Jewell Cave and just a little longer to Wind Cave.

Here's a little more information. Jewell Cave National Monument is just the cave and a small surface area. Wind Cave National Park is the cave plus a larger surface area of something like 40 square miles. Geographically, it is very similar to the wildlife loop area in southern Custer State Park. There are buffalo, elk, antelope, deer, etc.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wind cave, jewell cave

Hi Dracaj!

One is a NP (Wind Cave) the other is a NM. Not much difference.

Could not have given better info than Slrtravelplanner.

If you only want to visit one of them, my vote goes to Wind Cave, but it's all a matter of personal preference of course. From Wind Cave you can directly drive to Custer SP.

Have fun

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
4. Re: wind cave, jewell cave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 19:19
Get answers to your questions about Hill City
Recent Conversations