We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in Badlands National Park?

Which Hill City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
mendham nj
1 post
Save Topic
2 nights in Badlands National Park?

I remember a trip thorugh the Badlands 20 years ago and thought it was one of the most amazing places I have ever been. I am now bringing my husband and two teenage sons to spend 8 days touring North and South Dakota. We are very laid back and don't need a lot of tourist attractions -- just beautiful natural surrondings, hiking, and (if possible) good food.

We are planning as of now to spend two nights, one full day in the Badlands National Park at Cedar Pass Lodging. Is there enough to do to spend two nights? I know trails are limited, and I was also wondering about the road construction in the Badlands National Park and how that is affecting the access to trails. Will it be too hot to hike midday in late July early August?

Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights in Badlands National Park?

I think the question of "is there enough to do" is very subjective. Depends on what you really enjoy. Personally I think 2 nights there would be overkill but then I need a little more going on then the Badlands, Wall or Cedar Pass could offer for 2 nights. I guess it mostly depends on how much of the day you want to spend hiking and exploring and if you don't want to have to make a drive to your next destination at night. Maybe it would be perfect for you.

I can't comment on the construction but I will tell you that it is extremely likely that its going to be too hot midday in July/August for doing much hiking out there. I don't think you'll want to leave the car for long periods of time. I would plan for conditions similar to being in a desert at midday. Of course there is a chance of the weather being unusually cool when you're here too. We haven't broke into triple digits here (in RC at least) for a few years now which is unusual - but no matter what the weather is like here in town it will be worse out there. Our hottest temps tend to be late afternoon but that is also when our severe weather rolls through too - late afternoon/evening so you'll want to also be on the lookout for that and be cautious but it will also offer some relief from the heat.

Edited: 16 July 2010, 19:20
Iowa
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights in Badlands National Park?

We stayed two nights when we were in the area, and it definetely wasn't overkill:-). I easily could've spent one more.

We spent the first night in Wall, did Wall Drug, the 1880s town (west of Murdo), all that touristy stuff. Got up early the next morning and headed straight into the Badlands: zero traffic and lots of wildlife:-). We then spent the entire day in Badlands. Drove the main loop and made lots of stops along the way; did the four really short hikes. There were a few other (longer) hikes that we just didn't have time to do. We also spent some time at the Vistior Center, and ate dinner at the Cedar Pass Restaurant.

Based on what you posted about your vacation style, I think you will be happy with two nights spent in the Badlands, especially since you loved it so much twenty years ago:-)

Iowa
Level Contributor
1,447 posts
447 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights in Badlands National Park?

Oh, and wanted to add that the road construction wasn't bad at all when we were there in June. There were a few times we had to wait a bit...but the scenery is so beautiful you really don't mind:-).

Otwell, Indiana
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights in Badlands National Park?

Last week there wasn't any construction on the loop road. Another thing to see is the Missileman site.The visitor station is at exit 131... the control room at exit 127 and the missle at exit 110. We were told Tuesdays and Thursdays are open house days and tickets are to the first 200 people.

Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nights in Badlands National Park?

Just got back and the Badlands were definitely a highlight for the kids (13,11,8). Next visit we plan on staying there for a couple days. I'd say go enjoy yourselves!

6. Re: 2 nights in Badlands National Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Hill City
Recent Conversations