We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in Rapid City

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MIDDLETOWN OHIO
9 posts
Save Topic
Camping in Rapid City

My husband and I are planning a camping trip to Rapid City. I have looked at the Happy Holiday Rv campground and the Rushmore Shadows Resort, but I'm not sure which would be better. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in Rapid City

If you are not opposed to going a little bit farther south, Custer State Park is a beautiful place. I am past interested in camping (too old) :) but if I were to camp in the area, I'd go there-- just an option.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping in Rapid City

Both Happy Holiday & Rushmore Shadows are on hwy 16, a couple miles apart. Most of HH is visible from the hwy and it appears the campsites are closely side by side and there isn't much for shade as the trees are not mature. I camp & I personally wouldn't stay there. I see it is highly rated. Maybe it is nicer than it looks from the highway.

Rushmore Shadows has some sites near the road, but there are sites back in the trees. Of the 2 it would be preferable.

Is a pool important?

We enjoy Sylvan & Center Lake in Custer State Park or Pactola or Sheridan campgrounds on hwy 385.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,519 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping in Rapid City

I am not a camper, but I think I would choose to base myself out of either Keystone, Hill City, or Custer. You will be a little closer to the attractions, and you won't be that far from Rapid if you need a major grocer in which to stock up on supplies. It's about a 30 minute drive from Keystone to Rapid City. Traffic doesn't seem to be an issue in the Black Hills either.

If I was a camper, I think I'd choose Custer SP. The scenery would be fantastic, and if you didn't feel like cooking one night, you could always take advantage of the great places to eat in the park, such as Blue Bell Lodge or the State Game Lodge.

MIDDLETOWN OHIO
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping in Rapid City

A pool would be nice but am more interested in convenience and niceness of the campground.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping in Rapid City

what do you plan to do in the area and how long are you staying? We spent 3 days/nights-- one day at the Badlands and Minuteman Missile site, one day at Custer State Park, one day to Rushmore and Crazy Horse and BACK to Custer state park. It's a huge park and quite beautiful. Don't know about any pools there but there's Sylan Lake :) Where you plan to spend you time helps to know where best to stay?

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
502 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping in Rapid City

The photo accompanying my posts was taken from a Pactola campsite.

MIDDLETOWN OHIO
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping in Rapid City

We will be arriving on Sunday and staying until Saturday morning. We are planning on doing Mt. Rushmore, Badlands, Crazy horse, Deadwood, Custer state park and maybe a cave tour.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
351 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping in Rapid City

We (2 families) did this trip in July with our camper(s). We stayed at the Badlands KOA for 2 nights while visiting the Badlands, Minuteman Missile Site and Wall Drug. It is a fantastic campground and I highly recommend it. It does include a great pool.

Thereafter we stayed in Custer, SD at Big Pine Campground. Again, the place was great and I highly recommend it also. It was central to all the attractions but quiet, clean and shady. Custer State Park is very beautiful but we like full hookups so choose the private campground. Either way, I would stay closer to the attractions like another poster said in Custer, Hill City or Keystone.

Have a great trip!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping in Rapid City

We have camped at Blue Bell Lodge in Custer State Park and absolutely loved the area. Campground was clean, beautiful, peaceful and serene and full of wildlife which our kids loved. They did not even miss a pool. We swam at both Sylvan Lake and Legion Lake in CSP. However, if you want a campground with a pool and other ammenities check out the Rafter J Bar Ranch just south of Hill City. Website is http://www.rafterj.com/. We have not camped there but have family and friends who have. All raved about this place. It is located close to all the CSP and southern Hill's attractions and about an hour or so from Deadwood, Lead and Spearfish Canyon. Not far from the Rafter J Bar is the Mt. Rushmore KOA located at the Palmer Gulch Resort. Website http://www.palmergulch.com/facilities.htm. Do not know anything about the campground but saw the website.

10. Re: Camping in Rapid City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2010, 05:17