We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sturgis questions

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
pittsburgh
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sturgis questions

Does anyone know when the crowds really start to show up for the sturgis bike rally.The rally starts on Aug.9,and I was considering visiting the black hills area around Aug. 5,6,7.I was just curious as to when things get really busy.I would imagine people start showing up the weekend before,but what about Thursday and Friday before the rally.I also don't plan on going to Sturgis proper,but would like to visit all of the surounding areas(mt rushmore,badlands,devils tower,rapid city)and was wondering how busy these areas would be a few days before the rally starts.Thanks

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sturgis questions

Crowds will begin arriving in early August... the campsites start up on August 2 and there is already lots happening by the "pre-rally" weekend. If you don't plan on visiting for the rally it would be beneficial to alter your travel dates ahead or back if at all possible.

http://www.sturgismotorcyclerally.com/

Note there is also an event in Deadwood in late July I believe... mentioned elsewhere on here.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
307 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sturgis questions

Agree with Wanderer05 to alter your dates if possible. The rally gets over 1/2 million people each year (a google search will yield tons of info on this). Motels, hotels, campgrounds, etc. are booked way in advance and if you haven't booked any accomodations by now, you may be out of luck. We are taking a trip that way this summer and have booked well after the rally. If you don't mind the huge crowds, and/or can't change your dates, maybe you'll be lucky enough to find accomodations. Good Luck to you!

On edit:

From what I've read, the rally crowds arrive a few days before. And accomodations are hard to find anywhere in or around sturgis.

Edited: 06 July 2010, 03:42
Rapid City, SD
Level Contributor
753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sturgis questions

The area will be really busy by Friday the 6th or Saturday the 7th. If you avoid Sturgis and make your northern hills (Devil's Tower) sites first in your trip it wouldn't be too bad. Other areas of course will be busy as well but you'll avoid the worst of the traffic if you stick to the central/southern hills areas the remainder of your trip. You would be coming into the area early enough and leaving the opposite direction as those arriving so that would be helpful as well. If you've not already secured lodging it may well be too late. That is another consideration.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sturgis questions

Just found a great graph in the South Dakota travel guide i just got about Sturgis crowds.It breaks down day by day ,the traffic volume expected for the rally.80% of the crowds arrive on Saturday and Sunday just before the rally(Aug 7+8 this year).Crowds peak on Tuesday and Wednesday.50% leave on the final Saturday(aug14)and by sunday 85% will have headed home.I have found tons of hotels with rooms on thurs aug 5+fri aug 6.If I leave the area Saturday morning I should avoid the majority of the traffic and crowds.

Texas
Level Contributor
314 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sturgis questions

Spaceman: can you give an update now that your trip is over? How were the crowds during your visit? Was wondering how the actuality compared to predictions?

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sturgis questions

Well sanity got the better of me,and I scratched the black hills trip completely.I spent the week in the great smoky mountains in east Tennessee.It was my seventh trip there,and as usual it was great.I am going to try the black hills trip next June.Sharing the roads with 750000 bikes,plus everybody else who still went last week to visit,just seemed to dash my hopes of enjoying the area.I didn't want traffic,crowds,not to mention outragious hotel prices to spoil what will surely be a great place to visit at another time.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sturgis questions

Sounds like you made a very good choice. More like half a million than three quarters. ;)

I was in Sturgis from August 10-14th. The traffic is bad, but aside from right in town (not just Sturgis, but the neighboring ones as well) and at the rally campgrounds it's manageable. Still better than LA on a normal day.

I made it to Badlands, Minuteman, Wall Drug one day, and Custer State Park, Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore (never went in to either) the other. Hit Deadwood, Leed, and Spearfish Canyon on the way out on Saturday morning. Never left Buffalo Chip on the scorching and busy Wednesday.

8. Re: Sturgis questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2011, 05:16