We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabins in Hill City

Quakertown,PA
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Cabins in Hill City

Forgot to ask-mountainmomma5-what privately owned cabins have you stayed at in Hill City? Always open to suggestions!

Brookings, SD
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabins in Hill City

We have stayed at Newton Fork Ranch. It's probably less than a mile out of Hill City, but gets you out of town and they are spaced away from each other pretty well. They are very nice log cabins.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabins in Hill City

We have rented several cabins on Edelweiss Mountain just west of Hill City near Pactola Lake. These cabins are handled by several different management companies. We have been pleased with all the cabins we have stayed in but our favorite is with Alpine Cabin Rentals. All of the cabins are located in a gated community in a beautiful, serene area. Most of these cabins were built in the 70's and 80's and are fully equipped. The cabins are very clean, especially those managed by Alpine Management. Bedding is not what you find in a fine hotel but we have had no problem sleeping or waking up sore because of a poor mattress. Our only complaint has been the pillows but always bring our own anyway. If you are flying, though, that might present a problem. All of the cabins are on an acre or more and though not as new and pricier than those at the Newton Fork Ranch, they are even more secluded from each other. I have included some websites for you of the cabins on Edelweiss Mtn. and one which contains info for the Newton Fork Ranch and others in the Hill City/ Black Hills area.

http://www.alpinecabins.net/index.htm

(Our two favorite cabins are through this company.)

http://www.edelweissmountain.com/

(Note: Edelweiss Mountain management has changed hands since we rented through them. We have heard good things but have no personal experience dealing with the new management.)

http://www.executive-lodging.com/

(We have not actually rented anything from Executive Lodging but have friends and relatives who did last summer. The cabin they rented was also on Edelweiss Mountain. Called the Midnight Blu Lodge, it is brand new and gorgeous. A little more expensive but very top notch. We were able to view it and have no problem recommending this cabin. Our friends and relatives were extremely pleased with everything.)

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/south-dakota

(Just click on Hill City. You may want to look into Keystone or Custer also. Most of the attractions are in the Hill City, Keystone and Custer area.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
683 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabins in Hill City

Sorry. I stated Edelweiss Mountains was west of Hill city in my previous post. It is actually north of Hill City and west of US Hwy. 385.

Quakertown,PA
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabins in Hill City

mountainmama5-Thanks for all you input! We are continuing to browse through all the travel brochures and search the internet (what did we do before the internet?????), and will keep you posted on our progress. I think half the fun is planning the trip too! There is SO much to see in that part of the country! We traveled out west about 8 years ago and had a great time! We were able to take a little over two weeks that time and had the opportunity to tour 5 National parks while we were there. The Tetons were my favorite!! Can't wait to get back to that beautiful part of our country! I have always wanted to see Mount Rushmore and am so happy that we have the chance to do that! Thanks for your help in our planning efforts! It sounds like we should pack some summer and some warmer clothes for September-good to know!

5. Re: Cabins in Hill City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 02:16