We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NW Illinois to Yellowstone

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sugar Grove...
Level Contributor
17 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
NW Illinois to Yellowstone

Planning trip to Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone in early May. Looking at staying two nights at the HEI Custer, SD; one night at the Lodge at Deadwood, SD, and wondering about staying in Cody WY and driving to Yellowstone. Any suggestions and input would be appreciated.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,879 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NW Illinois to Yellowstone

post also in Yellowstone national park forum- opening dates for park are early to late May- weather can be very iffy at that time of the year- were there in mid-May 2007 warm and sunny but in 2008 came back and it was cold, snowy, icy and some roads were closed

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NW Illinois to Yellowstone

Weather can be iffy in both places at that time of the year. Are you able to travel at a different time? I think you may have less worries if you can.

Cody is wonderful and highly recommended, although it is not a good base for touring Yellowstone. It's close to 50 miles from there to the east entrance, and that doesn't factor getting to different areas of the park. Some attractions in the Black Hills won't be open or on limited hours that time of the year, which is another consideration. When touring both areas, just make sure you have ample time. Many thinkg they can see Yellowstone and the Black Hills in a week. This is really not a good idea, IMO.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your trip.

Sugar Grove...
Level Contributor
17 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NW Illinois to Yellowstone

Thank you for your input. Would there be things to do in Cody WY if we were not able to make it to Yellowstone due to weather? I was hoping the weather would be okay due to the unusually warm winter.

Custer, South...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: NW Illinois to Yellowstone

Custer has numerous hotels and motels to accommodate your stay! The information you need can be found at www.custersd.com. You can also download a Southern Hills Vacation Guide or have one mailed to you from that site. We look forward to your stay in Custer and if you are in need of anymore information once you arrive please visit us at our Visitor’s Center!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NW Illinois to Yellowstone

Cody will keep you entertained for 2 nights. The Buffalo Bill Historical Center is great and takes several hours to see. In fact, the admission price gets you in the museum for 2 days. I compare it frequently with the Smithsonian. The exhibits are highly informative. You will be too early for the rodeo, I believe. As for weather, it's very hard to predict. It may be warm now, but who knows how it will be in a month.

Sugar Grove...
Level Contributor
17 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NW Illinois to Yellowstone

I appreciate your response. Guess it is still a go. We like to avoid crowds but did hope to see Yellowstone. Looks like the east entrance opens May 11 which would give us one day. I was interested in the Wild Horse tour. Not sure if that will be available in mid May or not.

Sugar Grove...
Level Contributor
17 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NW Illinois to Yellowstone

Thanks for your help. Will add Buffalo Bill Historical Center to our to do list.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,879 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NW Illinois to Yellowstone

You should be OK- just check NPS for YNP. Might find roads around Canyon area and on Beartooth Hwy to still be closed. When you enter the park check with the park rangers and they will give you an update.

Custer, South...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: NW Illinois to Yellowstone

If you are interested in seeing wild horses, Hot Springs has the Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary. It’s one of America’s greatest private wilderness areas! You can see hundreds of wild mustangs and their foals roaming free across windswept prairies. Travel back in time and view the rugged natural beauty of America as it was 100 years ago. Explore wild horse history and learn how important horses were to early man. Their website is: www.wildmustangs.com.

Sugar Grove...
Level Contributor
17 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NW Illinois to Yellowstone

I really appreciate your help. I also read about the Mammoth site in Hot Springs. That is something else we were interested in but had not come across.

Thank you. Custer should be very proud of their visitor-friendly Chamber going above and beyond.

Get answers to your questions about Rapid City