We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Hills itinerary?

Omaha, Nebraska
2 posts
Save Topic
Black Hills itinerary?

We are planning a trip leaving next Sat and heading home on Wed to Omaha. We will have a 4yr old traveling with us. We would like to visit Custer State Park, Wildloop Road, Needles Hwy., Mt. Rushmore and The Badlands. Any ideas on how to make the most of our time? Good places to stay with children? Thanks.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black Hills itinerary?

I'd recommend seeing the Badlands on the way in. You may consider seeing the Badlands and stopping in Rapid City for the night, or you may want to stay in nearby Wall. I don't know if you could get in park lodging this last minute. The other 2 days, you could stay in Keystone or Hill City.

Technically, you have 3 full days in the area. Seeing the Badlands on the way in will free up time for you. Allot one of your days for Custer State Park. Depending on your hiking there, you could also include Rushmore here. You could see it after driving Iron Mt Rd in Custer SP from south to north. Be sure to include a stop at Sylvan Lake, also in Custer SP, especially if the weather is nice. Reptile Gardens is open this time of year, but Bear Country is not according to its website. I don't how you or you child feel about caves. If you think it would be ok, you could consider Wind or Jewel Caves. You also have Crazy Horse, although that will be more enjoyable for you than your child, and if time permits, you could take a drive out to Devil's Tower.

Of course of the above suggestions are weather permitting.

As for places to stay, I personally like the Roosevelt Inn in Keystone. They have family suites that are ideal for putting your child to bed and then you can have some adult time. There's a separate bedroom and living area in the suites. Once again, it's last minute, so they may or may not be available.

I hope you have good weather. Enjoy your time in SD.

Rockford, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Hills itinerary?

We are coming in July with our 6 year old and plan to check out the Reptile Gardens. Another fun thing we plan on is the Watiki Waterpark. It's indoor so it doesn't matter what the weather's like.

Plus all of the other things mentioned in the post above by slrtravel!

Custer, South...
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Black Hills itinerary?

At www.custersd.com you will find that Custer is centrally located to all the major attractions in the Black Hills including Jewel Cave (15 min away), Wind Cave (30 min away), Custer State Park (5 min away), Crazy Horse (5 min away), Mt. Rushmore (25 min away), Needles Hwy (10 min away), Mammoth Site (40 min away) and Wild Horse Sanctuary (55 min away). The Blue Bell Hayride/Chuckwagon will be open April 27th. Other attractions opening May 1st that your 4 year old may enjoy are the National Museum of Woodcarving, Bear Country USA and Rushmore Cave & Zip Line.

The Holiday Inn Express is open and they have large, deluxe rooms & suites, microwaves & refrigerators in all rooms, indoor pool & hot tub, guest laundry, and express start breakfast.

There are numerous shops, restaurants, hotels/motels, cabins, parks, and friendly faces! I think you can easily see everything that you plan to and more! For more information please visit our website: www.custersd.com and find us on Facebook!

Omaha, Nebraska
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Black Hills itinerary?

Thank you for the replies!

5. Re: Black Hills itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 01:42
Get answers to your questions about Rapid City