We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indian-made pottery, etc?

New York
Level Contributor
406 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Indian-made pottery, etc?

Where is the best place to buy gifts that are made by American Indians - price-wise and authenticity? We are staying in rapid city but will be going to the Custer Park, Crazy Horse, Mt. Rushmore areas and then onto Yellowstone, Jackson and into Colorado.

thank you.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indian-made pottery, etc?

Crazy Horse has hand-made goods that Native Americans sell right on-site. I did not price anything, so I can't comment on the values.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
798 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indian-made pottery, etc?

I just got back from the Black Hills and so pottery in every gift shop but at Crazy Horse, the vendors were mostly offering jewelry while we were there.

3. Re: Indian-made pottery, etc?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 14:34
New York
Level Contributor
406 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Indian-made pottery, etc?

Before leaving Rapid City we found a great place for handmade Indian Pottery. They have a large location in downtown Rapid City called Sioux Pottery.You can go in and watch them make their pieces. Then they have one room with seconds at half price and the front room has first quality. I bought a lot of stuff and for $18 they shipped everything to NY for me with UPS. Everything was packed beautifully and I couldn't be happier with the prices. My daughter and daughters -in-law loved everything I bought. http://www.siouxpottery.com/

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,906 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Indian-made pottery, etc?

Thanks for reporting back, Xrete. We love to hear when travelers have such great experiences! Hope the rest of your trip was great.

New York
Level Contributor
406 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Indian-made pottery, etc?

Our trip was fabulous!! Thank you and thanks very much for all your assistance and advise during the planning process. I have written some individual reviews of hotels, restaurants and attractions. I am trying to find time to formulate a Trip Review shortly on our three and a half week road trip.

7. Re: Indian-made pottery, etc?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Rapid City