We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area for hotels near Rapid City Airport

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best area for hotels near Rapid City Airport

Hello,

I will be arriving in Rapid City at 10 pm and renting a car. Only have 2 days to explore the area before I have to leave. Would like to see Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park and the Badlands (if I can squeeze it in). What is the best area to look for a hotel? Would prefer for it not to be too far away from the airport since I'm coming in late but somewhere close to the other sights would be nice.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,522 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area for hotels near Rapid City Airport

I understand your not wanting to drive far after a late flight. However, other than the Badlands, Rapid is not as close to the other attractions on your list. Overall, the most central locations are Keystone, Hill City or Custer.

Here's an idea, but with only 2 days, you may not be receptive. Stay in Rapid your 1st night. Get up early and head to the Badlands (about a hour's drive). Tour there for about 1/2 a day and then head to Keystone or Hill City to change lodging. You could tour Rushmore on the way in by using Iron Mt Rd, which is part of Custer SP. Be sure to drive from south to north. On your 2nd day, you can see the balance of Custer SP and Crazy Horse.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

BTW..be sure to order the travel planner from travelsd.com if you haven't already done so.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area for hotels near Rapid City Airport

Thanks for the info!!

3. Re: Best area for hotels near Rapid City Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 06:15