We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in October

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in October

Hi All,

We are traveling mid October and understand that we might see snow. I'm a little worried abut driving in the snow. If it does snow would we need chains to get around the Black Hills or will be be able to drive around OK. Would we be able to hire chains for a rental car?

Thanks

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,517 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in October

Average temps in October would be highs in the 50's and 60's and lows in the 30's. Snow is a possibility, but I wouldn't be overly worried about it. Weather can be very hard to predict at any location, as the averages don't always hold true. I wouldn't think you would have that much difficulty getting around, as most of the heavy snows don't come until later in the season. If it would snow, I think it would melt fairly quickly.

I was on vacation when you posted your original itinerary. It looks nice and relaxed. Have you decided on if you will substitute the Badlands for Devil's Tower/Spearfish Canyon? That's a fairly tough call. I think foliage would be a determining factor for me. If the Canyon is past peak, I think I'd opt for the Badlands. Spearfish is gorgeous any time of the year, but I have heard fall is special. Unfortunately, I have not beein during this time of the year due to having a daughter in school.

Enjoy your trip!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in October

Thanks for you feedback sirtravelplanner. It it snows we will have to "deal with it". Our kids have never seen the snow, so if it snows that would be something special for them.

We have decided to visit the Badlands instead of Devils Tower and Sundance. We will try and fit in Spearfish Canyon on another day during our three days.

Rapid City, South...
Level Contributor
501 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in October

I've lived in the Black Hills for 28 years, including 3 years in Deadwood, and I have only rarely seen chains, usually only on snow plows & emergency vehicles. A heavy snow in October is unusual and it has been a very dry year. But Black Hills weather is unpredictable.

Also, last Oct. Needles hwy was closed on the 11th to clear pine trees infected with the pine beetle. There haven't been any notices yet, but you may want to check for Custer State park road intermittent road closings closer to your travel date.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,517 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in October

Jenny,

I think your plan to substitute the Badlands for Devil's Tower is a great one. Please let us know how your trip goes. Enjoy the Black Hills!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in October

Will do. South Dakota is part of a 6 week holiday I have been planning for 3 years. We leave in 1 month today and are VERY excited.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in October

I've lived in the northern US all my life and have never used chains nor do any of my acquaintances use them. People do, however, drive vehicles with four wheel drive such as SUVS to help get through the snow. You may want to consider renting one of these as opposed to a car. As previously mentioned, October is still pretty early to have snow, but it's possible. It usually doesn't snow until November.

7. Re: Weather in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2013, 05:15