We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt. Rushmore/ Yellowstone.

Inman, SC
Level Contributor
22 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Mt. Rushmore/ Yellowstone.

We are in the early stages of planning a trip in July. We would want to rent a motorcycle but are not interested in the Sturgis Rally. Is is possible to see both Yellowstone and the Black Hills in a 2 week period? Or could we do it in less time?

If so, what airport would be advisable?

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt. Rushmore/ Yellowstone.

Two weeks would be the minimum time I'd plan for Yellowstone and the Black Hills, especially if you are flying into only 1 airport. Flying in one and out another would save drive time, but you will get nailed with high drop off fees for rental cars. Rapid City is closest to the Black Hills, whereas Jackson is closest for Yellowstone. Denver is also as possibility and is 6 hours from the Black Hills and around 10 hours to Yellowstone. Salt Lake City is closer to Yellowstone..6.5 hours to Yellowstone and about 10 hours to the Black Hills.

I'm not sure about where you could rent a motorcycle, as I have not done this. Hopefully someone else will chime in there for you.

Be sure to order a travel planner from travelsd.com in order to get a great feel for the area. Let us know if you have additional questions.

Midwest
Level Contributor
4 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt. Rushmore/ Yellowstone.

For motorcycle rental in the Rapid City area contact:

Black Hills Harley-Davidson

1-605-342-9362 / 1-800-727-2482

I-90 Exit 55

Rapid City, SD 57702

Los Angeles...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt. Rushmore/ Yellowstone.

Depending on the kind of activities you're interested in, you may be able to do it less time...shoot for at least 10 days. If you'd like to do both in two weeks, I HIGHLY recommend flying into Jackson Hole (JAC), heading north through Teton and Yellowstone, then take the 90E to the Black Hills, and fly out of Rapid City (RAP) at the conclusion of your trip. Rental car drop-off fees are nominal and definitely worth the time and fuel $$$ you'll save. The 11-12 hour drive is stunning, but don't waste precious time doing it twice!

If you really want to do this on a motorcycle, you'll need to go round-trip from Rapid City (as rental companies won't allow a different drop-off locale) and plan to spend a little more time.

4. Re: Mt. Rushmore/ Yellowstone.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Rapid City