We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A good base?

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
371 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
A good base?

We are visiting SD and want to see the Badlands, Blackhills, Rushmore and Custer State forests. Should we base ourselves in one town for a few nights and explore from there or are there better options. We are in our 50's and like quiet and outdoors. Thank you.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
29,762 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A good base?

I would stay in either Keystone or Hill City if want to stay in a hotel or possibly Custer State Park if interested in their cabins. We like the K Bar S Lodge in Keystone. It sits in the shadow of Mt. Rushmore and is off the road where you can see wild turkey and deer each morning and night. It also has a nice hot breakfast.

Check online travel guide and map-

www.travelsd.com

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
371 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A good base?

Thank you so much, I will take a look at your suggestions.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A good base?

You can certainly base in one town and branch out doing daytrips. Keystone, Hill City, or even Custer would be good options, but Keystone and Hill City are most centralized. K Bar S is highly rated on this site. I've had experience at the Roosevelt Inn; we have enjoyed our time there. This year, we are trying the Rushmore Express as a change. Both offer suites, which is a nice option.

Keystone is more family oriented than Hill City. Hill City is quieter, so that might be a better option for you based on your description of yourselves. The Holiday Inn Express there looks very nice from the outside and receives good ratings on this site.

If you are interested in seeing Deadwood, Devil's Tower, and Spearfish Canyon, and if you have a week to spend in the area, you might consider splitting your time between the central region (Hill City, Custer or Keystone) and north region (Deadwood, Lead or Spearfish). Two nights in the north and the balance in the central region is a good mix.

And definitely order the travel planner Peach mentions. It has great info!

Please let us know if we can help further.

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
371 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A good base?

Hi, thank you. We have decided on Hill City, I think it is more us than Keystone. At the moment I have booked us in for 2 nights although we can stay longer if needed. We are driving up there today from Scottsbluff NE so will visit the Black Hills enroute. Thanks again, Bev

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A good base?

Today? Please check ahead of time to see what is open. The Black Hills received 15 inches of snow last week.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A good base?

Definitely. I didn't realize you were leaving today. The Black Hills has had some really rough weather lately!

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
371 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A good base?

Hi, thank you for your advice. We had a stunning drive to Hill City today, especially through Custer State Forest. We are not fazed by the snow and are on no fixed time frame so just happy to go with the flow and where roads are open. For us to see so much snow is a real treat.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: A good base?

There is more snow expected this weekend, so stay safe. I'm glad you are having a nice time and that you have a good attitude about the weather. Take care.

Mapua, New Zealand
Level Contributor
371 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A good base?

Thank you, we love our road trips in the US.

10. Re: A good base?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2014, 06:16