We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Cave to see? Rushmore?

Hialeah, Florida
Level Contributor
60 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Best Cave to see? Rushmore?

Will be in Rapid City on Mem weekend . Saw Rushmore Cave advertisement . Traveling with 5 yr old and it looks good for him. I want tk know if it is worth seeing or move on to another cave and if so which one ?

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,552 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Cave to see? Rushmore?

Most people on here recommend Jewel, with Wind a close second. Our then-three year old handled all the walking in Jewel and did not get scared when they turned the lights out for just a minute. They will warn you before they do this, and it's probably a smart idea, should you choose this tour, to prep your child for that moment before you go on the tour.

I've never been to Rushmore, so I can't comment on that. It's been years since I've been to Wind, so others can tell you more about that tour.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Cave to see? Rushmore?

I've been to Rushmore Cave. Although it was fine, IMHO, privately owned caves don't compare to those operated by the National Park Service. Therefore, I'd recommend Jewel or Wind Cave over Rushmore. I have found the rangers are much better tour guides, for many times, I've found the privately run caves to have college students who may not be quite as passionate about the job as a ranger.

Has your child ever been in a cave? I would recommend Jewel over Wind if he doesn't have much experience, as it's more open and has higher ceilings. The formations are also more varied. Wind Cave's ceilings are lower, and people tend to feel a bit more claustrophobic, particularly if they close spaces.

Hialeah, Florida
Level Contributor
60 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Cave to see? Rushmore?

Thank you very much , looks like Jewel is the one to go to.

Stillwater...
Level Contributor
858 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Cave to see? Rushmore?

I agree with slrtravelplanner, Jewel would be my top choice, and either cave out strips the private caves. (Not that they aren't worth seeing, esp. if you are into caves.)

How adventurous is your son, is he afraid of the dark? At his age I'd been in several caves, and had a passion for them. I was going to suggest you look into the Historic Lantern Tour, but in looking for the link, I see they have a minimum age of 6.... This tour gives one a totally different perspective, and a longer visit in the cave.

nps.gov/jeca/planyourvisit/lanterntour.htm

5. Re: Best Cave to see? Rushmore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Rapid City