We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are your thought's....

WI
Level Contributor
371 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
What are your thought's....

We are leaving from mid west WI for a week in SD in mid Sept...we love our Harley's but long story short we are renting one for two day....please give us you opinion of your week

Sat

WI-Mitchell

Corn Palace

Sun

Rapid City – (Get settled) (Harley shop)

Mon

Mount Rushmore

Keystone

Crazy Horse

Tue - Bike

Needle

Iron Mountain Road (Custer State Park)

Wild Life Loop Road (Custer State Park) (Morning best for wildlife)

Hill City - (Butt Break - Harley)

Custer – (Butt Break

Wed - Bike

Sturgis – (Harley shop)

Deadwood – (Harley shop) – Saloon #10, shoot out

TH

Spearfish – 45 min drive – Bridal Veil see from road – Roughlock short walk

Devils Tower – Hike base hour

Fri

Wall

Badland - Badlands Loop Scenic Byway 240 (32 miles in length and will take about one hour to drive.) (The Badlands Scenic Loop Byway is located along Highway 240 - From I 90 you can drive it in either direction by exiting at either exit 110 or exit 131.)

Sat

Home – Peanut!!!

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are your thought's....

Overall, the plan is pretty well organized. Activities are grouped logically. You are going at a very comfortable pace and could probably add activities if you so choose. I am not a motorcycle rider, but I'm sure you will enjoy your riding time.

If you haven't done so already, be sure to order the travel planner from travelsd.com. It give you a great idea of things to see and do in the area, plus it will give you great maps.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
798 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are your thought's....

You could break up some of the scenic drives in Custer State Park in order to make sure you have your back rests. A lot of people group the Wildlife Loop and then Iron Mountain Rd (ride south to north) in the morning and then back up to Keystone and then Mt Rushmore for the afternoon. A second day do Crazy Horse in the AM and then on to Needles Hwy (for example). Crazy Horse is sort of located in between Hill City and Custer on Hwy 16/385 if that makes any difference in your planned rest stops at all. :-)

Rockford, Illinois...
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What are your thought's....

If you are on I-90 during through Austin, MN, I would suggest stopping at the SPAM museum as it is a great place to stretch your legs. Also, stop at Falls Park in Sioux Falls to see the falls.

You day 2 (driving Mitchell to Rapid City) seems light. I would add in driving the Badlands. We have always driven through the Badlands on our way out and on the way back, so we hit it twice each trip. Save your receipt from the entrance fee – as it will be good for hitting the Badlands later in your trip too. You might as well stop at Wall Drug too – as it is a good place to stretch your legs.

Monday – May be a little light depending how long you take to view Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse. We have kids that have shorter attention spans, so we tend to go through things fairly quick. One could spend a lot of time at Crazy Horse, as there is a lot to see. You may be able add in driving needles highway or the wildlife loop – as we like to do these drives two times a trip.

I like your Tuesday on the bike – as it is a day of the scenic drives . There are tons of places to pull over and stop if you need a quick break. You can do this day at a fairly leisurely pace and really enjoy the beauty of the area.

Wednesday – this seems light. There is not too much to see and do in Sturgis when the rally is not in town. I would hit Sturgis in the AM, drive the interstate to Spearfish, ride Spearfish Canyon N to S on the bike, and then end up in Deadwood. Spearfish Canyon is worth seeing a couple of times, and it is really nice on the bike.

Thursday – If you are interested in Spearfish Canyon again, exit I-90 and go through Deadwood and drive the canyon S to N. You could stop at the Fish Hatchery in Spearfish to see some trout – not a whole lot to see but it is free.

WI
Level Contributor
371 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are your thought's....

Thanks everyone

We are keeping the days light and figure we can add little things here and there (Bear Country, Antiques shops)....I like the idea of doing Badlands both directions....I will drive one time and hubby the other so we both can really see the views

5. Re: What are your thought's....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Rapid City
Recent Conversations