We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unexpected delay in Rapid City

Washington - the...
Level Contributor
333 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Unexpected delay in Rapid City

Long story short, my family is travelling across country in a caravan and one car went caput. They are staying in town and are looking for suggestions of places to eat and things to do for a few days while one of the cars gets repairs. Details: need to be able to be accessed by public transportation and appealing to multi generation folks and inexpensive. Spicy food isn't too appealing, but anything else is fine. As far as attractions/things to do - no heavy hiking (stroller accessable a plus) and "kitchy" is fine. Thank you so much for the last minute help!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,294 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unexpected delay in Rapid City

I don't know how easy it is to reach Storybook Island by public transportation, but it's a place we enjoyed taking our kids. (It would appeal to parents, grandparents and young children (under 8 - 10 years old). And it's free!

Perhaps you can use the info on this link to call them and ask about how to get there via public transportation:

http://storybookisland.org/

Washington - the...
Level Contributor
333 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unexpected delay in Rapid City

That would be perfect! Thank-you. I'll let them know.

Illinois
Level Contributor
388 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unexpected delay in Rapid City

The only food i have had in RC is Firehouse Brewery and it is fantastic. Kids might like seeing all the FD stuff.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unexpected delay in Rapid City

Here's a link to public transportation in Rapid:

http://www.rapidride.org/

The trolley goes right to Storybook Island, among other places like the Journey Museum and other Rapid City sites.

Bus tours are also available. Gray Line picks you up right from your Rapid City hotel.

blackhillsvacations.com/activities/tours/#

If you took a tour, you'd get a feel for the area. Rapid City is ok, but the jewels of the Black Hills are outside. The only other option is to rent a car while staying in the area

Here's another site you can take a look at so you will see all the area has to offer:

travelsd.com

I hope the car is fixed quickly. Enjoy your time in South Dakota!

5. Re: Unexpected delay in Rapid City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 June 2014, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Rapid City
Recent Conversations