We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have an RV -- should we rent a car?

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
chicago
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Have an RV -- should we rent a car?

Hi all!

Renting a 26 foot RV to drive out to SD. Staying 3 nights in Custer state park in RV campground and making day trips. Planning on hitting all the major sights near Rapid City / Rushmore from there -- furthest north we'll go is Deadwood, and would like to do some driving in Black Hills for part of one day, but will not go too far (will hit Badlands loops on way back east).

My question is this: Does it make sense to rent a car in Rapid City for day trips, or should we just haul around in the RV for everything we want to do? Thinking it will be easier / faster / safer to use to get around? My husband is a great driver, but this is our first time taking the family out and about in an RV . . .

Any perspective on this would be very much appreciated!

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have an RV -- should we rent a car?

If you want to do Needles Hwy, Mt. Coolidge or Iron Mt. Rd, I would rent an RV. The hairpin curves, inclines and narrow (some are just one lane) tunnels on these roads would not be something I would want to attempt in an RV (we own one). Finding a parking spot for a larger vehicle in places like Sylvan Lake or downtown Hill City where there is limited parking and a lot of people could be tricky. So, if it were me, I'd at least rent a car for a portion of the trip. Not sure how easy it is to park in Deadwood as it's been ages since I was there.

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,462 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have an RV -- should we rent a car?

Yep, I would definitely rent a car. You won't want to tacke the Needles or Iron Mt Rd with a camper in tow. I have a friend who has a motorhome, and although I realize hers is longer than yours, she felt uncomfortable parking at Rushmore.

I believe I read somewhere on here that Rafter J campground rents cars to those in need. This campground is located near Hill City and gets very good feedback on here. I have a friend who stays there every year during Sturgis.

Let us know if we can help further.

Richmond, Kentucky
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have an RV -- should we rent a car?

I will be coming to the area in September for a week and will be renting a car. My question is will a car be ok or do I need an SUV? Something I read made it seem an SUV would be better, but I thought all of the attractions were on main roads.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
667 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have an RV -- should we rent a car?

A car is fine, no special need for an SUV.

Pierre, South Dakota
Level Contributor
508 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have an RV -- should we rent a car?

I agree a car rental would be a good idea. While I HAVE seen RV's on many of the roads listed.....they caused far more problems than they solved, it seemed. More than once, we encountered traffic backed up for miles due to RVs that had no real business being on those roads attempting to navigate them. If you cannot safely travel at speeds of excess of 15 mph, its just courteous to your fellow drivers NOT to take an RV on roads where they will have great difficulty. Not only was it a major inconvenience for other travelers, but I cannot imagine being the RV's driver was much fun either. If you DO find yourself on a "questionable" road and notice a lot of traffic behind you, PLEASE utilize on of the many pull-offs along the roads to allow traffic to pass. Jut because someone else doesn't ind creeping down the roads at 5mph doesn't mean the 30 cars behind you feel the same way. To me, RVS on roads where they don't really "belong" is my biggest pet peeve as a South Dakota resident who spends a lot of time in the Black Hills.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have an RV -- should we rent a car?

Kentuckyraven, in the winter when you may encounter deep snow, an SUV with four wheel drive is a good idea. Perhaps this is what you read? A car is fine in the summer, more fuel efficient and cheaper to rent.

Richmond, Kentucky
Level Contributor
54 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have an RV -- should we rent a car?

It may have been, I don't recall. Going with hertz, it looks like an SUV-Toyota rav4-is the cheapest I've found. If I pay now, I can get the week for $211. Are they bad with gas mileage? The cheapest car I found was with enterprise, non airport location, but it said they don't do airport pickup/drop off.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,287 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have an RV -- should we rent a car?

DH used to have one. They are better than larger SUVs. Have an enjoyable trip.

chicago
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Have an RV -- should we rent a car?

Thanks, all! I will look into renting a car for at least part of our trip. Appreciate your help!

10. Re: Have an RV -- should we rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Rapid City