We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rapid City as a Base

Which Rapid City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Rapid City as a Base

I am planning a vacation to the Black Hills next summer. I will be flying into Rapid City Airport and, as I don't drive and will be taking tours, is Rapid City an ideal base? The tour company I'll be using is based there. Any other locale I'd have to hire a taxi to get me there and then check the local tour operators pick up from there.

South Dakota
Level Contributor
4,492 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rapid City as a Base

Normally, we don't recommend Rapid on here because it isn't centrally located, but since you don't drive and that's where the tour company is, I guess that would be my pick. Staying somewhere else might be too complicated. Enjoy your trip.

New York
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rapid City as a Base

Yea. I looked at Keystone and its a bit away. To hire a taxi there I am sure would be quite expensive.

Apple Valley...
Level Contributor
703 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rapid City as a Base

Make sure to stay in downtown Rapid City so you are within walking distance of restaurants, shopping and other entertainment. They have events throughout the summer as well in downtown so be sure to check out their calendar when your trip gets closer. Also Rapid City has a trolley tour and a walking self tour of the presidential statues. It seems that another contributor posted that they were able to arrange a trail ride that also began in Rapid City. There are many tours that hit the main attractions of Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse and Custer State Park scenic drives but you will probably have to arrange a personalized trip to include Badlands Natl Park or to the northern hills of Deadwood and Spearfish Canyon.

There is also a park in downtown that has a piece of the Berlin Wall and some historical information.

Edited: 26 September 2013, 17:55
WI
Level Contributor
370 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rapid City as a Base

Many don't like Rapid City....it was perfect for us last week....we did drive and it was central because we spent 2 days south seeing Mount Rushmore, Crazy horse, Hill city, Keystone and of course Custer Park....then the other 2 days we spent north Sturgis, Deadwood, Lead, Devils tower, and Spearfish.....we drove in from WI so we went through the Badland both coming and leaving Rapid City but I would guess you could squeeze in in some how

Also if you need to pick up a few things very easy in Rapid City ...some even within walking distance to hotel

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rapid City as a Base

Many of the tour companies will pick up guests right at their lodging in Rapid City. Based on your particular situation, I think Rapid will work well for you.

Cedarville, Ohio
Level Contributor
586 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rapid City as a Base

We used Rapid City as a base (4 days) because we also went to the Badlands. One day we ended the day in Spearfish and the trip back to Rapid City was no problem. We did not see Rapid City as inconvenient. We liked it for all the restaurants and lodging choices. The airport is really close to town compared to the airports here in Columbus, Cleveland, Chicago etc. But the airport seems rather dead at times. I did not see it hopping with public trans.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Rapid City as a Base

Roamer61, what is the name of the tour group you will be using?

8. Re: Rapid City as a Base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 January 2014, 22:16
New York
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rapid City as a Base

Affordable Adventures.

10. Re: Rapid City as a Base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2014, 14:34