We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chattanooga or knoxville

m w
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
chattanooga or knoxville

We are traveling on vacation and were thinking of spending a full day in knoxville then travelling to chattanooga and spending 3 days. But it seems that there is more to see and do in Chattanooga than in knoxville so I am thinking of skipping knoxville and spending the extra day in chattanooga. What do you recommend? Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
5 replies to this topic
Indy
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
637 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: chattanooga or knoxville

I've been to Knoxville twice in the last year. We went down there once and stayed in W. Knoxville the day before the eclipse. We then went back in Nov. just to drive through the city on our way to Gatlinburg because it is an area we are considering moving to in the future. I can't say I've ever really done anything in the city, outside of eating at a pizza shop last summer. The downtown area we visited in November was pretty dead. It was actually a nice area, nice walking paths and such, but there was just no one out on a weekend night. There was a military formal and we saw a handful of young Marines dressed up with their dates. That was pretty much it. I know there are things to do, but really it seems like just any other smaller sized metro area.

Chattanooga has a lot more tourist trap type places: Rock City, Ruby Falls, the Incline Railway. When we went to Chattanooga years ago, their downtown was really nice and very packed. We actually drove to a more suburban area to eat because there were just that many people in their downtown area and places were busy.

I will say that if you are into road trips and just seeing sights, you could explore the Knoxville area. Start at Dandridge and work your way west. Dandridge has some shops. To the west of the town is the Douglas Lake Dam with some nice views from the parking area. You could then continue west on TN-139 and check out some of the places in Sevierville like Smoky Mountain Knife Works. Get on I-40 and go and check out downtown Knoxville, then I'd suggest hitting I-75 with a stop at the town of Sweetwater. The town did an amazing job for the eclipse. There was at least one or two antique stores, a handful of local eateries. Then you could make your way to Chattanooga.

Mentioned in this post
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
Rock City
Rock City
3,131 Reviews
Lookout Mountain, GA
Ruby Falls
Ruby Falls
5,689 Reviews
Chattanooga, TN
Dandridge
Dandridge
Tennessee
Douglas Lake
Douglas Lake
212 Reviews
Dandridge, TN
Sevierville
Sevierville
Sevier County, TN
Smoky Mountain Knife Works
Smoky Mountain Knife...
2,600 Reviews
Sevierville, TN
Indy
Destination Expert
for Indianapolis
Level Contributor
637 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: chattanooga or knoxville

Oddly enough I stumbled up on this article which list a bunch of things to do in Knoxville.

scarymommy.com/25-things-to-do-family-knoxvi…

Mentioned in this post
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,910 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: chattanooga or knoxville

Your “tourist trap” comparison is interesting.

Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg are back to back tourist towns, shops, shops and shops and traffic.

Located in a beautiful area, it you can take the time to find it.

The Chattanooga area of East Tennessee is very scenic with rolling hills, mountains and the Tenn. River.it is full of friendly people, music, arts, great food, Markets and our Tennessee Riverfront and Riverwalk.

I agree that Ruby Falls can be missed. Rock City is most scenic and entertaining.

Tenn. Aquarium is unique and so well presented, Bluff View Arts District, Chattanooga Choo Choo, Northshore, Southside and so much more.

www.chattanoogafun.com

Mentioned in this post
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
Tennessee
Tennessee
United States
Ruby Falls
Ruby Falls
5,689 Reviews
Chattanooga, TN
Rock City
Rock City
3,131 Reviews
Lookout Mountain, GA
Bluff View Inn
Bluff View Inn
209 Reviews
Chattanooga, TN
Chattanooga Choo Choo
Chattanooga Choo Choo
2,806 Reviews
Chattanooga, TN
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga
Level Contributor
747 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: chattanooga or knoxville

Queenie and I are obviously going to advocate for Chattanooga but seriously Knoxville holds no charm for me- was there lots of times over 7 years son was there- and gatlinburg and pigeon forge are super crowded and one big long string of stores- now if you can enter the Smokies from Bryson City North Carolina and see the real beauty then I would suggest a detour there. There are some worthwhile stops surrounding Knoxville, the old city has been made over well but the school seems to dominate all downtown activities. Chattanooga is certainly busy in the summer and there will be crowds at certain times due to growing popularity and seemingly endless New York Times write ups but lots to do if one attraction is too crowded

Mentioned in this post
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Bryson City
Bryson City
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
433 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: chattanooga or knoxville

I like your original plan. See both cities. In Knoxville, visit the Old City and Market Square areas of downtown Knoxville then drive through the campus of the University of Tennessee. Maybe stop for a few hours at the McClung Museum of Natural History on the UT campus. https://mcclungmuseum.utk.edu/

Then come us for three days. What do you have planned for Chattanooga?

Mentioned in this post
Knoxville
Knoxville
Tennessee
Market Square
Market Square
2,531 Reviews
Knoxville, TN
University of Tennessee
University of Tennessee
392 Reviews
Knoxville, TN