We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Apartments in Chattanooga

Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Safe Apartments in Chattanooga

My husband and I are relocating to Chattanooga this Dec for his work. We are two (small) 25 year olds and the more research I do on Chattanooga, the more concerned I am about our safety.

Can anyone recommend safe apartment complexes or areas? How about areas to avoid? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
11 replies to this topic
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,934 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe Apartments in Chattanooga

There are SO many safe areas in Chattanooga. We are no different than other cities, who have their certain areas to avoid.

Do you know what part of town your husband will be working in?

The Northshore/ North Chattanooga areas has so much growth and a lot of that is due to new condo's and apartments. Downtown along the river also. East Brainerd has new growth also.

Chattanooga is booming and so many new facilities are moving here for the great quality of life.

I would begin with NorthShore, North Chattanooga, Riverfront East Brainerd and Southside.

Check back with us and we can give you additional information.

www.chattanoogafun.com

Edited: 04 June 2018, 22:41
Mentioned in this post
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga
Level Contributor
755 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe Apartments in Chattanooga

Look at City Green, way up on a hill near the intersection of Signal Mountain Road and Dayton Boulevard, minutes from the Northshore, an entrance ramp to 27 south (downtown) literally 100 yards away- there is a new complex called 5 points at the corner of Cherokee and manning, 10 North at manufacturers and Cherokee with a Starbucks on the ground floor. You wouldn’t live in the unsafe areas and would have no reason to be there unless you were doing something you shouldn’t be! I’ll send the link to a crime map in a bit

Mentioned in this post
Cherokee
Cherokee
North Carolina Mountains, NC
Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
436 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe Apartments in Chattanooga

You probably shouldn't move here.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,934 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe Apartments in Chattanooga

Pardon....... why such a statement? Chattanooga is a great place to live!

Mentioned in this post
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
tennesee
Level Contributor
503 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe Apartments in Chattanooga

Like any (unfortunately) medium to large city we have our share of problems and problem areas. So I can understand your desire to research and find a place that you can be fairly comfortable. The suggestions from queeni and delta are all good. Doesn't mean they are 100% crime-free. No place is. Areas to avoid would be Brainard, Alton Park, Eastdale, Highland Park to name a few. Most of the newer and larger apartment complexes aren't located here. Some of these, like Highland Park, are experiencing a rejuvenation but still wouldn't recommend them at this time.

You'll also need to consider where your place of employment is as traffic can be problematic at times. If working around the Hamilton Place area, East Bainard is more appropriate than Downtown, Signal Mountain Road or Northshore areas.

Welcome to Chattanooga. It's a fantastic city with more plusses than minuses.

Mentioned in this post
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga
Level Contributor
755 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe Apartments in Chattanooga

Link to crime data- cityinsider.chattanooga.gov - again re-emphasizing that you will not be living in any of the higher crime areas, most violent crimes are by persons known to each other, not random crimes. There are no complexes in these areas other than government sponsored rent controlled complexes.

1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe Apartments in Chattanooga

There are many very nice apartment complexes in the city, all with a range of prices and amenities. As others have stated, based on your area of work, you would have to decide how far of a commute you are comfortable with. One area not mentioned is Hixson. This is a community within the city limits of Chattanooga, and has seen major growth over the years. I have lived in Hixson for 25 years in various apt. complexes, and I have never had a problem. Chattanooga is a great place to call home, and it's little wonder we are known as the Scenic City of the South. Welcome.

Mentioned in this post
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe Apartments in Chattanooga

Thank you all for your input! I appreciate it. My husband will be “travelling” around Chatt working at different hospitals and medical facilities, so that has posed a challenge to find a place that will be somewhat central to where we both end up. I will be looking for an accounting position in the area but that location won’t be known until after the move.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,934 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe Apartments in Chattanooga

Since we live live, we love living on the Northshore/North Chattanooga side.

I find it quieter, easier to get around and just convenient.

Mentioned in this post
Chattanooga
Chattanooga
Tennessee
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe Apartments in Chattanooga

I find this thread rather strange, since this is Trip Advisor, not Relocation Advisor.

Reply to: Safe Apartments in Chattanooga
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted