We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place to Park?

Which Chattanooga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Owensboro, KY
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best Place to Park?

As most of the higher rated hotels within walking distance of Aquarium & other attractions seem to be a bit pricey, We may stay someplace like the new Fairfield Inn and Suites or Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Downtown. Where is a good place to park near attractions?

Thanks,

Karen

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place to Park?

We normally have good luck finding a free spot on the street but there are a couple of parking garages on Chestnut near the aquarium we have used on really crowded days when street parking was hard to come by.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,403 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place to Park?

There are several parking lots in the area. Charge around $8.00 per day, I think. Parking on the street is usually metered and you will have to keep up with your time.

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place to Park?

I have terrible luck finding a free spot and spend too much time looking.

There is a small lot directly in front of the aquarium, but it may be full.

I most often park at a small lot that faces 5th street between Market and Broad. It's 1 1/2 blocks to the Discovery Museum, 3 1/2 to the Aquarium about 1 or 2 blocks from places we eat. Since it's several blocks from the Aquarium, it cost less, $5 last time I was there. If you exit Highway 27, turn right at the 3rd light, right and the next light, then right into the lot. Quick and easy and I'm on my way.

If you arrive downtown after 6pm or on the weekend you can park free around Cherry and 3rd Street. Unum Provident Insurance has a huge office and about three city blocks of employee only parking during business hours. Free to the public on weekends and evenings. About three blocks from the Aquarium

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place to Park?

On Saturdays you can park on Walnut Street right by the Walnut Street Bridge for free. From there it's only a short walk down the First Street Steps to the aquarium.

If you're cool with paying seven or eight bucks for the day, there are loads of different spots around for you to park in.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,491 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place to Park?

Karenlynn,

Are you visiting during the week or on a weekend?

If on the weekend, park in my companies lots near the Walnut Street bridge for free. The company is called Unum and they allow free parking during non business hours (evenings and weekends). Their lots are just "up the hill" a bit from Market and Broad streets and are just a few blocks walk from the Aquarium.

If this won't work for you, just find a spot in the parking garage that belongs to the Carta Electic shuttle system. They are about a reasonable for parking charges as anyone.

Don't try to feed meters on the street during weekdays; most of them are 30 minutes or 1 hour only now.

Owensboro, KY
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Place to Park?

Thanks for your help. We will be there on a weekday.

Dalton, GA
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Place to Park?

We park in a large parking area by the river, just west of the Aquarium. Take Chestnut and turn left at the river. It's CARTA, so it's only five dollars all day (more than four hours). CARTA spots are free after 4:30. Just go to their website, carta-bus.org, for parking rate details.

Dalton, GA
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Place to Park?

Meter limits are two hours (1.50). After 4:30, it's free parking.

Franklin, Tennessee
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Place to Park?

Here is a link to an interactive parking map for downtown Nashville. If anyone knows of a similar web site for downtown Chattanooga, please post it.

www.parkitdowntown.com/public_parking.php

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,403 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Place to Park?

Tennessee Aquarium Parking Tips

Click here for jpeg image of parking map. Map and Driving Directions to the Aquarium ... the car parked and ride The Fat Cat Ferry -- Chattanooga's newest riverfront ...

www.tnaqua.org/VisitorInfo/Parking_tips.asp