We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mayfield Dairy and the Lost Sea

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
134 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Mayfield Dairy and the Lost Sea

Can anyone give me any details about these two activities? How much does the dairy tour cost? We have a 19 month old son and a 2 month old daughter. Would these activities allow strollers? Any thoughts on taking them there? I know the 2 month old won't have much of an impact other than needing to be in a stroller. Any other ideas to do with young kids in the Chattanooga area that isn't too expensive (free is best). We will be in Chattanooga the week between Christmas and New Years. Thanks for the help.

Edited: 17 December 2009, 01:07
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,572 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mayfield Dairy and the Lost Sea

Mayfield Dairy has a free tour of their plant in Athens. Outside the plant is a giant black and white and a beautiful mural of cows in a field on the factory side.

This statement is from a prior TA write-up.

The tour is free, fun and educational. You get to see how the milk is brought in and bottled. It is fun to watch the ice cream being made too. At the beginning of the tour there is a short film with the current Mayfield heir explaining the history of the company. It is kind of a commercial but is interesting. You wear hairnets on the tour although most of the time you are behind glass looking in from a hallway. The tour does require a little bit of walking. At the end of the tour you can try some of the the ice cream they offer in a little ice cream parlor. The ice cream isn't free but is reasonably priced. Sometimes they offer flavors you can't get in the stores. Athens is about a 1 hour drive from Chattanooga, depending on your area of departure.

The Lost Sea is in Sweetwater and about the same distance. It is an underground lake and classified as a natural wonder. It is $15.00 per adult and I am PRESUMING, your children are free.

In Chattanooga, there is the Creative Discovery Museum. www.cdmfun.org, Rock City Gardens www.seerockcity.com, Coolidge Park and the antique Denzel carousel with 52 hand-carved animals to ride. The Chattanooga Zoo www.chattanooga.gov/30_zoo.htmPRAC and Ruby Falls www.rubyfalls.com

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,767 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mayfield Dairy and the Lost Sea

The dairy tour is free. I have not done the dairy tour, but I have been to the Lost Sea. I don't think a stroller would work well at the Lost Sea at all. I believe there may have been some steps, and there is a boat ride included in the tour, and you wouldn't be able to get a stroller on the boat. You could call and ask the staff at the Lost Sea if a baby carrier would work. However, I'm not sure how your 19 mo. old would fare on a cave tour. It would depend on his personality. Personally, with children that young, I think I'd shy away from any cave tour, as you never know if the child may become frightened underground.

As for other attractions, the aquarium is phenomenal, and Rock City will have its light display. I would not recommend Ruby Falls, as it is a combination cave/waterfall, and you couldn't take a stroller in there due to the narrowness of the walkways.

Strolling the waterfront could be a nice free activity, weather permitting.

Have a great time!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
134 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mayfield Dairy and the Lost Sea

what about strollers at the dairy?

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,572 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mayfield Dairy and the Lost Sea

I suggest that you call 1-800-Mayfield. They should be able to give you this information.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
398 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mayfield Dairy and the Lost Sea

We've done the dairy tour and there are quite a few steps. Some are metal grate steps. They may have a way to accomodate you though so I would call.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mayfield Dairy and the Lost Sea

I can ditto about the steps at the Mayfield Dairy. In random locations, too... It's pretty loud in places, as well, so your younguns may not like that. Of course it depends on their temperament.

Ideas: Tennessee Aquarium, Chattanooga Zoo ($6, $1 on Wednesdays), Point Park up on Lookout Mountain... What to do with very small children in winter in Chattown in stumping me; most of the more interesting things here are outdoors and involve walking or aren't suited for very small ones. You might be able to open up your options a little bit if you can cary the little ones in a Kelty carrier or something similar.

Dalton, GA
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mayfield Dairy and the Lost Sea

You are not allowed strollers on the tour. It's a short tour.

8. Re: Mayfield Dairy and the Lost Sea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2010, 05:16