We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any place else we should visit in Chattanooga?

Which Chattanooga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Baden, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Any place else we should visit in Chattanooga?

My girlfriend and I are heading to Chattanooga next week. Our itinerary includes the following list. Is there anything y'all think we should visit that isn't on the list, or any maybes that should be definites?

Definites:

TVR Hiawassee Rail Tour

Aquarium

Rock City

Glen Falls

Guild Trail (just part of it)

Raccoon Mt Wild cave tour

Boyds Speedway

Coolidge Park/Walnut Bridge

Jack Daniels Distillery (on the way home :) )

And the maybes (if we have time):

Lake Winnie

Reflection Riding

Signal Point (and the UFO house)

Southern Belle Riverboat

Zoo

Model Railroad at the Choo choo

Cloudland Canyon

Raccoon Mt Reservoir

Also, we plan to dine at the Big River Grille, Blue Orleans, and The Terminal Brewhouse during the trip. Any other restaurants that would be worth visiting?

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,467 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any place else we should visit in Chattanooga?

1) Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum www.tvrail.com

The largest operating railroad museum in the state.

2) Coolidge Park. This beautiful park features the antique carousel that has been restored and your child has a choice of 52 beautiful carved animals to ride. Docked on the Tennessee River at the park is the Delta Queen that is becoming a hotel.

Along the river on the south shore is the Riverwalk, that follows the Tennessee with beautiful scenery and interesting sights along the way. Walk across the Walnut Street Pedestrian Bridge from the South Shore to the North Shore. www.chattanooga.gov/prac/30_1095.htm

3) Southern Belle River Boat Cruise

4) Tennessee Aquarium World's largest fresh water aquarium. Absolutely fabulous!!! www.tnaqua.org

5) Rock City Gardens Lookout Mountain. For the young and the old! www.seerockcity.com

6) Chattanooga Zoo http://zoo.chattanooga.org

CHATTANOOGA VISITORS CENTER:

1-800-322-3344 www.chattanoogafun.com

www.chattanoogabirthdayparty.com Childrens activities

Downtown Electric Shuttle - CARTA

... Electric Shuttle is the easiest way to get around Downtown Chattanooga. ... Electric buses run daily* about every 5 minutes from the Chattanooga Choo Choo ..

www.carta-bus.org/routes/elec_shuttle.asp

Bakewell, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any place else we should visit in Chattanooga?

The maybes that should be definates are...

Lake Winnie

Zoo

Cloudland Canyon

Bakewell, Tennessee
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any place else we should visit in Chattanooga?

AND the definates that should only be maybes are...

Definites:

TVR Hiawassee Rail Tour

Aquarium

Rock City

Glen Falls

Coolidge Park/Walnut Bridge

Jack Daniels Distillery (on the way home :) )

AND I THINK YOU SHOULD ADD

Lula Lake Land Trust

sequayah caverns

and a walking/hiking visit to greenway farm!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
1,169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any place else we should visit in Chattanooga?

i'll 2nd the tn railroad museum, and lulu lake venture...they are fabulous chickamauga battlefield is a treat too.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any place else we should visit in Chattanooga?

How much time do you have in Chattanooga?

I think the train ride would give you a unique experience most Chattanooga visitors don't get, as well as a nice look at some of the countryside that's hard to see if you're going by road. The aquarium is a must just because its awesome. I don't consider Glen Falls a must see but I think would provide a great off the beaten track moment for your trip. And of course if you're into caves I hear Raccoon Mountain Caverns is the best option in Chattanooga if you're not a die-hard underground waterfall fan. A walk around Northshore and the bridge is a must for any Chattanooga visit. So that's all good.

The Guild Trail is fun (my favorite part is that between Craven's House and Ruby Falls), especially if you take your bikes up on the Incline and then just coast all the way down. I'd say that's one case where the price of the Incline is actually worth it. Still, I don't think this is a must do. I do think a bike ride around Reflection Riding is a must, as well as a visit to Sunset Rock to look down on the riding from above. The rest of your maybes I think are good maybes.

I always enjoy 212 Market for lunch. Standard prices, delicious Southern-influenced food.

I would second the suggestion, but unfortunately lula Lake will not be open next Saturday.

New Baden, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any place else we should visit in Chattanooga?

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions...

We have 4 full days in Chattanooga.

We already booked the Hiawassee Rail Tour and the Cave Tour at Raccoon Mountain a couple weeks ago, so those are for sure.

I have been to Cloudland, but the GF has not. If we have time I would love to bring her down there.

The Lula Lake thing looks awesome. It's disappointing we won't get to visit.

We are spending a couple nights at the Skyharbor Inn, which is right on the Guild Trail. Can't pass up a hike that starts at our front door. :)

How could I forget Sunset Rock... We plan to cruise around the top of Lookout Mt to check out some of the houses, and make the quick hike at Sunset Rock.

Another question... Is there anything worth seeing at the Raccoon Mt Reservoir? Or should we just take it off our list? (I'd love to ride the mountain bike trails there, but the GF doesn't mountain bike...)

Thanks again.

7. Re: Any place else we should visit in Chattanooga?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2011, 05:17