We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring the State of Tn in 8 days

Which Chattanooga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
57 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Touring the State of Tn in 8 days

My family and I are planning a trip through the state of TN. My rough draft itenary looks like this: Day 1: Drive to Memphis and stay the night. Day 2: Tour Sun Studion and Graceland then drive to Nashville for Night 2. Day 3: Walk down Music row and look around Nashville then drive to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg for 4 nights then on to Chattanooga for day 7. Day 8 head to Lynchburg to tour Jack Daniel's Distillery and head home.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring the State of Tn in 8 days

TN is a great state to visit. I would spend 7 days in Memphis and Nashville or 7 days in PF/GB and return to OK through Chattanooga for a night. I would not combine the cities you have listed in a 7 day trip. 2/3 days in Memphis is fun and 2/3 days in Nashville is fun along the way. You could spend a night in Chattanooga on your returrn trip to OK.

PF/GB is a lot of fun if you rent a cabin for a week and pick up food to eat in at night. Have a great trip. Good luck.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
57 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring the State of Tn in 8 days

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I think that would be a nice trip.

I think the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area looks really nice and we may prefer that over Mephis/Nashville and maybe stay the night in Chattanooga on the way home.

It is about 12-13 hr drive (depending on # of stops made) from our home to Pigeon Forge. We have a 9 yr old and a 14 yr old (13 hrs in a vehicle with the two of them can get tough but is doable.) Memphis is about 1/2 way. Is Graceland worth checking out on the way? Or we could drive as far as Nashville and stay the night on the way up? But I think it would be nice to break the trip up a bit. Just looking for some ideas.

I have plenty of time to plan. I have requested visitors guides from Mephis, Nashville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and Chattanooga.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,467 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring the State of Tn in 8 days

You did not say what time of year or the ages of your children. So, I am happy to provide some general information that may help you.

First, I cannot imagine spending 7 nights in Memphis. I honestly do not think Memphis offers that much for that long. Second, the Eastern part of Tennessee is beautiful and you will find the topography of land much different from that of Oklahoma.

The Gatlinburg/ Pigeon Forge has much to offer. Activities vary, along with much traffic and many people.

Maybe you can settle in and find a peaceful cabin and enjoy the Smokey Mountains for a few days.

Chattanooga is a family destination city also. Much to do in our area. The following suggestion list may help you see all that we offer. Come see us!!

Below are some suggestions that might help you.

1) Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum www.tvrail.com

The largest operating railroad museum in the state.

2) Coolidge Park. This beautiful park features the antique carousel that has been restored and your child has a choice of 52 beautiful carved animals to ride. Docked on the Tennessee River at the park is the Delta Queen that has become a hotel.

Along the river on the south shore is the Riverwalk, that follows the Tennessee with beautiful scenery and interesting sights along the way. Walk across the Walnut Street Pedestrian Bridge from the South Shore to the North Shore. www.chattanooga.gov/prac/30_1095.htm

3) Reflection Riding Arboretum & Botanical Garden www.reflectionriding.org

4) Tennessee Aquarium World's largest fresh water aquarium. Absolutely fabulous!!! River Gorge Explorer www.tnaqua.org

5) Rock City Gardens Lookout Mountain. For the young and the old! www.seerockcity.com

6) Chattanooga Zoo http://zoo.chattanooga.org

7) Bluff View Art District www.bluffviewartdistrict.com

8) Chattanooga Parks and Recreation www.chattanooga.gov

Hamiltontn.gov/ParkReDefault.aspx

9) Walnut Street Pedestrian Bridge www.chattanooga.gov/prac/30_1095.htm

10) Creative Discovery Museum for children 3-13 www.cdmfun.org

11) Chattanooga Ducks www.chattanoogaducks.com

CHATTANOOGA VISITORS CENTER:

1-800-322-3344 www.chattanoogafun.com

Downtown Electric Shuttle - CARTA

... Electric Shuttle is the easiest way to get around Downtown Chattanooga. ... Electric buses run daily* about every 5 minutes from the Chattanooga Choo Choo ..

www.carta-bus.org/routes/elec_shuttle.asp

--------------------------------------------

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,041 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring the State of Tn in 8 days

this is just my opinion, of course, but if your kids are typical 9&14 year olds, you might want to make your shortest stop in Nashville. Nashville is a nice place to live and all, but more entertainment oriented, than kid oriented. Chattanooga definitely has more to do than you can in one day, and if it is summer, you can add Lake Winnie to all the above fun suggestions.

Memphis' Mud Island is very interesting and really cool, and their zoo, IMO is OUTSTANDING.

In the mountains, you can never run out of things to do!

From Memphis to the Smoky Mountains it is about a 6 hour drive, through Nashville, so you could see ti from the interstate & skip it, or stop somewhere touristy for lunch.

Have fun,

Miller

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
255 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Touring the State of Tn in 8 days

It would take 2 weeks just to see the spectactular state parks of tennessee and thats doing 2 to 4 a day! after all teh state parks are the REAL tennessee!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Touring the State of Tn in 8 days

I think you would enjoy a week in Memphis and Nashville. Come back when you can and spend a week in PF/GB. You will experience two different types of vacation. The mountains and sites in PF/GB are outstanding. And Memphis/Nashville are also two great places to visit for the sites, shops and restaurants. Graceland, Sun Studio, Beale Street and Memphis BBQ is a 3/4 day trip. Good luck.

7. Re: Touring the State of Tn in 8 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 August 2011, 01:21
Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee, Memphis
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Touring the State of Tn in 8 days

4nfam,

I think your basic plan is doable. If what you read which interests your family the most is Pidgeon Forge / Gatlinburg, then you should spend your longest amount of nights in that region, however I would reiterate what axle said: you should get a cabin in the woods and base yourself from it, getting the most enjoyment from the natural mountain experience as possible. That was the reason for the area's being set aside as a natl' park, to enjoy the natural beauty of the mountain region, not for the miniature golf. souvenier, lazer tag excesses of the strips running through the towns (although some of that helps round out your experience.)

Additionally if Memphis is halfway for you, then that's exactly where you should spend the night. The best family attraction within the entire area you will cover is the Memphis Zoo which has been rated the #1 zoo in the country by Trip Advisor's contributors. It has Giant Pandas, and state of the art habitats for Grizzlies, Polar Bears, Big Cats and Primates. Mud Island, out in The Mississippi River is connected to Downtown Memphis by an Overhead Swiss tramway, and features a 1/3 mile flowing river model which is a scaled representation of the the real thing running dozens of feet away, as well as a good MS River Museum. The whole family will definitely find two days worth of things to do should you spend that time in Downtown Memphis.

A scenic stop in Chattanooga or a musical/ hostorical stop in Nashville would also be memorable.

I would suggest a day less in the Gatlinburg area, and one more in one the others.

Welcome to Tennessee!

Sheboygan
Level Contributor
295 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Touring the State of Tn in 8 days

I have been to nashville, memphis, and gatlinburg. I love TN. This year we are going to Chattanooga. With Kids that age there is so much more for them to do in the Gatlinburg/PF area. The main thing in nashville is the grand ole opry and in memphis is graceland. I found memphis to be a litte scary when you get to certain areas. I would definately stick to gatlinburg and pigeon forge , beautiful area and lots or fun things to do.

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,624 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Touring the State of Tn in 8 days

I also recommend Mud Island in Memphis:

http://www.mudisland.com/

And lots of visitors make a short visit to the Peabody Hotel to see the famous ducks

If your kids are at all into arts and crafts, the Frist Museum in Nashville has a great section for creating all kinds of things (in addition to permanent and traveling exhibits); you'll see people of all ages dabbling in the hands-on section.

The lower floor of the TN Performing Arts Center in Nashville has an interesting (and free) museum about early pioneer life in TN. Nashville also has a very good zoo, which is larger than Chattanooga's (but I can't compare it with the Memphis zoo, as I've never been to that one). And if you enjoy the out of doors, Radnor Lake has nice walking trails where deer and other wildlife will come practically up to you.

I've heard good comments about the Casey Jones Museum (which would be a convenient stopping point between Memphis and Nashville) but haven't been there either.

I agree that Memphis/Nashville could easily fill a week..