We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Chattanooga worth a trip up from Atlanta?

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is Chattanooga worth a trip up from Atlanta?

I'll be in the United States this summer and i don't know whether to visit Chattanooga or not., I'm interested in tourist attractions and cool city parks. Are there anything worth seeing in Chattanooga or should i stay my entire trip in Atlanta and Georgia State?

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
632 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Chattanooga worth a trip up from Atlanta?

Depending upon how much time that you are in the USA, I would without question get out of Atlanta. Atlanta has a couple of days worth of things to do as far as tourist attractions, but the State of Ga and the surrounding states offer much more than Atlanta offers-especially if you love the great outdoors.

Chattanooga is without question a visit that you should take-subject to your days in the states. The riverfront area beats anything Atlanta has to offer, the history of the Civil War is all around, the National Forest and the 1996 Olympic Whitewater venue is in Polk County-about 50 miles from Chattanooga.

So YES, go to Chattanooga and the surrounding area.

If you state your interests, I am sure that you will get plenty of recommendations for Atlanta, Chattanooga and the greater area.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Chattanooga worth a trip up from Atlanta?

An eight day vacation. I was in Atlanta last year for 10 days as part of Wrestlemania week and found it to be a great city with lots of cool stuff to check out especially in the Metro area. So i decided that i would go back and I also liked the big city feel of the place. My interests would be to check out history museums, aquariums, theme parks, water parks, adventure parks (For example, Stone Mountain, GA) and city parks.

tennesee
Level Contributor
377 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Chattanooga worth a trip up from Atlanta?

Derek, Chattanooga is about a 2 hour drive straight up I75 from Atlanta and would echo it's worth at least a side trip. If you're here in early June, there's a weeklong music fest on the riverfront (Riverbend). The aquarium is one of the best. Would also advise that you see Rock City and Ruby Falls (two iconic tourist destinations in the United States). Downtown scene has really picked up. Lots of music venues. It's worth the time.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga
Level Contributor
616 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Chattanooga worth a trip up from Atlanta?

Agee with the other posters, worth the 2 plus hour drive and at least a nites stay. I too like the city "vibe" in Atlanta especially buckhead for about 3 days max! Chattanooga's downtown is great without so many people & much more walking friendly. Our aquarium is wonderful, lookout mountain is a great trip- make sure & ride the incline railway up. I'm originally from Atlanta & it definitely is the new York of the south but don't miss Chattanooga while you are so close.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Chattanooga worth a trip up from Atlanta?

Will defo make the trip to Chattanooga, thanks for all the recommendations on here. Rock City and Ruby Falls are certainly worth a visit by the looks of things. I'm flying in to Atlanta on the 28th of August so i will be in Chattanooga just after Labor Day Weekend.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,917 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Chattanooga worth a trip up from Atlanta?

Below, you will find an introduction to Chattanooga. Our area is beautiful, filled with warm welcoming people, beautiful scenery and many activities. You will enjoy our beautiful city¡¡¡

Some of these websites are in the process of being changed. Please follow the instructions.

Reflection Riding Arboretum & Botanical Garden www.reflectionriding.org

Bluff View Art District www.bluffviewartdistrict.com

Chattanooga Parks and Recreation www.chattanooga.gov

Hamiltontn.gov/ParkReDefault.aspx

Walnut Street Pedestrian Bridge www.chattanooga.gov/prac/30_1095.htm

CHATTANOOGA VISITORS CENTER:

1-800-322-3344 www.chattanoogafun.com

Downtown Electric Shuttle - CARTA

... Electric Shuttle is the easiest way to get around Downtown Chattanooga. ... Electric buses run daily* about every 5 minutes from the Chattanooga Choo Choo ..

www.carta-bus.org/routes/elec_shuttle.asp

Report inappropriate content

Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum www.tvrail.com

The largest operating railroad museum in the state.

Coolidge Park. This beautiful park features the antique carousel that has been restored and your child has a choice of 52 beautiful carved animals to ride. Docked on the Tennessee River at the park is the Delta Queen , that is now operated as a hotel.

Along the river on the south shore is the Tennessee Riverwalk, that follows the Tennessee with beautiful scenery and interesting sights along the way. Walk across the Walnut Street Pedestrian Bridge from the South Shore to the North Shore. www.chattanooga.gov/prac/30_1095.htm

Tennessee Aquarium World's largest fresh water aquarium. Absolutely fabulous!!! www.tnaqua.org

Rock City Gardens Lookout Mountain. For the young and the old! www.seerockcity.com

CHATTANOOGA VISITORS CENTER:

1-800-322-3344 www.chattanoogafun.com

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
268 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Chattanooga worth a trip up from Atlanta?

I think your question should be is ATLANTA worth a trip from Chattanooga. Chattanooga is much more fun and less hectic IMHO.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
268 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Chattanooga worth a trip up from Atlanta?

P.S> If you like amusement parks consider Lake Winnie. Its old and small but that why its great.

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
350 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Chattanooga worth a trip up from Atlanta?

History? Museum? Adventure? Then consider:

Chattanooga History Center www.chattanoogahistory.org

Hunter Museum of American Art www.huntermuseum.org/

Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Visitor Center www.nps.gov/chch/index.htm

Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum www.tvrail.com

Lookout Mountain Hang Gliding www.hanglide.com

10. Re: Is Chattanooga worth a trip up from Atlanta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 15:41
Get answers to your questions about Chattanooga