We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do???

Which Chattanooga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
What to do???

Aside from Lake Winnie, Ruby Falls, and Rock City, what else is there to do in Chattanooga while we are visiting for 4 days in August with a 7 and 5 year old?

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do???

One other little thing: What is the temp on Lookout Mountain at the beginning of August, typically?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9,923 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do???

We enjoyed Rock City, Point Park, Incline RR, buit thought Ruby Falls was a waste of time and money--I think children that age would be bored.

Although we didn't go, the Aquarium is supposed to be excellent.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do???

There is much to do in Chattanooga for family fun. I am listing several choices for you below. Please see if these would be of interest.

1) Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum www.tvrail.com

The largest operating railroad museum in the state.

2) Coolidge Park. This beautiful park features the antique carousel that has been restored and your child has a choice of 52 beautiful carved animals to ride. Docked on the Tennessee River at the park is the Delta Queen that has become a hotel.

Along the river on the south shore is the Riverwalk, that follows the Tennessee with beautiful scenery and interesting sights along the way. Walk across the Walnut Street Pedestrian Bridge from the South Shore to the North Shore.

3) Creative Discovery Museum for children 3-13 www.cdmfun.org

4) Tennessee Aquarium World's largest fresh water aquarium. Absolutely fabulous!!! www.tnaqua.org

5) Rock City Gardens Lookout Mountain. For the young and the old! www.seerockcity.com

6) Chattanooga Zoo http://zoo.chattanooga.org

7) Bluff View Art District www.bluffviewartdistrict.com

1-800-322-3344 www.chattanoogafun.com

Downtown Electric Shuttle - CARTA

... Electric Shuttle is the easiest way to get around Downtown Chattanooga. ... Electric buses run daily* about every 5 minutes from the Chattanooga Choo Choo ..

www.carta-bus.org/routes/elec_shuttle.asp

--------------------------------------------

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do???

Typically, low to mid 80's. This year has not been typical. Warm!

South London
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do???

I recently visited and wrote up a trip report of things I did which might help.

I enjoyed

Point Park

Chattanooga nature centre

Chattanooga Ghost tours

Incline Railway

Riding around on the downtown shuttle

Chicakamauga battlefield

Aquarium

Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do???

Thanks everyone.. We are certainly going to go to Chicamauga (used to go there when I was a kid as my grand parents lived in Lafayette), will check out Aquarium, Point Park and Coolidge Park. All this should fill up our days along with Rock City, Ruby Falls and the Incline.

Thanks Again.

Florida
Level Contributor
62 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do???

Hi,

We traveled to Rock City the last week of July last year and it was pretty HOT. I was surprised because I thought it would be cooler being in the mountains. It felt like the high 80's if it was not 90 degrees.

singleparentadventurist.com/8-day-summer-roa…

8. Re: What to do???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2013, 10:17