We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling up atop Signal Mountain

Which Chattanooga hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
1,133 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling up atop Signal Mountain

to see inger, rebel and bob at wrcd home of the bob brandy show was always a treat. The road wound tightly around the mountain making the ride home as exhilarating as the fun had onthe show. gotta love those golden flake memories.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
39,075 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling up atop Signal Mountain

Did you go up the front side where the "space house" is located, or up the "W" road?

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
1,133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling up atop Signal Mountain

i'm confused by your question but didn't see a 'space house' that i recall so i am assuming it was the 'W' road then. plus it was quite some time ago.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,075 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling up atop Signal Mountain

There are two main roads to the top of Signal Mountain. Hwy 127, which is what we call the "front side" and where the "space house" that looks like a flying saucer is located, and the "W" road where at the top of the mountain, the road makes three very sharp curves that create a "W" in the road.

Actually, I think her name was Ingrid, and I think they actually worked for WTVC Channel 9, which is the local ABC affiliate. However, this may have been in later years of the show. I don't remember going up Signal Mountain to be on the show.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
1,133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling up atop Signal Mountain

seems to me that the station was located atop signal mtn. and yes you are correct it was channel 9 , my mistake. mort lloyd was on the other channel. i wish i could recall the name of that great pizza parlor in east ridge i think that always advertized on jetfly wfli saying "momma mia now that italian", i want to say joe rigatoni's but am unsure. can you help?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,075 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling up atop Signal Mountain

I think WTVC channel 9's main station was in the Golden Gateway in the downtown area, at least when I was a child. They had and still have a transmitter up on Signal Mountain, but who knows...they may have had part of the studios up there too back then.

The TV station has since moved out to the Hwy 153/Hwy 58 area.

Could the pizza place you were thinking of have been Shakey's Pizza? I think they were in East Ridge or Brainerd back then, but this may not even be the place you're referring to.

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
1,133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling up atop Signal Mountain

no it wasn't shakeys. it had a clever radio jingle...when the moon hits your eye like a biga pizza pie....seems like it was near the tunnels. so long ago. i do know we went to the show up on signal mtn when i was on. thanks!

NW Ga
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling up atop Signal Mountain

Seems you're both correct.....one of you be a bit older<that'd be you bbqman....heh>. Here's some info from their website. A further look also specifically mentions how the Bob Brandy show was on Signal Mtn in the early days.

"NewsChannel 9 signed on the air from it's transmitter building on Signal Mountain in 1958. The transmitter remains on the mountain, but our offices and studios moved to downtown Chattanooga in 1966. "

www.newschannel9.com/about_history.shtml#

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
1,133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling up atop Signal Mountain

mystery solved! thanks...i thought there for a minute i was going to have to go downtown and consult ira trivers to find out the truth. nwgaguy you're not ira trivers by any chance are you?????

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
1,133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling up atop Signal Mountain

once you get your picture taken sitting astride rebel the wonder horse you never forget. inger or ingrid, whatever, bob's main squeese, was so easy on the eyes most of the team didn't need as much help getting up on the horse as they let on to either. plus. if things ever got dull just let one of those stub nosed infielder tenderfoots try and snatch the rug off bob's head then watch the adults scamper round to the rescue. great show, what fun we had!!!!

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,075 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling up atop Signal Mountain

So that's the answer. Yes, I was definitely on Bob Brandy After 1966, so yes, we were both correct.

Speaking of Ingrid, there was a huge scandal in the late 1970's or early 1980's after the Bob Brandy show went off the air in Chattanooga. She was murdered, and while I don't remember the details, the "suspicion" was that Bob had hired someone to kill her like a hitman.

There was never enough evidence to pin on him however, so he was never charged. Made quite an interesting story though; I'm sure Law & Order could make a good episode from it, considering they were somewhat celebraties.

Get answers to your questions about Chattanooga