We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I Want An Authentic Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich In...

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,090 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
I Want An Authentic Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich In...

Where can I find one locally in Chattanooga?

I'm not talking about a cheap immitation, like at the sub shops. I want a real cheesesteak with the grilled onions and such.

Help!!!

NW Ga
Level Contributor
347 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I Want An Authentic Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich In...

While you might find the right taste.....how will you find the right atmosphere? From a trip to philly years ago...getting a real cheesesteak sandwich involved having to step over homeless people laying on the sidewalk. Maybe they've improved things recently but I was really blown away at how things were in Philly back then.

Calhoun, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,015 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I Want An Authentic Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich In...

I saw Patti LaBelle on the cooking channel this week go to a place and get a Philly cheese steak sandwich in Philly. It looked so good. I think you need to go to Philly to get one.

Southampton...
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I Want An Authentic Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich In...

Hey,

Having been born and raised in Philly, I'm a wee bit offended to hear "homeless people" mixed in with a chat about Philly Cheesesteaks. Anyhow, I've traveled far and wide, and nowhere else have I ever found a good cheesesteak but in Philly and the surrounding suburbs. I don't know if it's the specially cut chip steak, or the grilled onions, or the cheese (still tons of debate over Cheeze Whiz vs. American or Provolone cheese), but most likely, it's the roll itself. It's not a bun, like the hotdog sized steak sandwich I got in Atlanta, it's a roll, about 12 inches long, with at least 8 oz of delicious steak. Sure, you can get a chicken steak, and also a pork steak in some places, but nothing is as juciy and tasty as pure beef. One of my favorite things to add is BACON, can you say awesome???

So, that all being said, unless someone "imports" all of the delicious ingredients from wherever we get that stuff in the Philly region (where I happily live and enjoy steak sandwiches as often as possible!), I'd doubt that you'd get the authentic taste. You need all of the ingredients to make it work.

There are some places that will send you a ready made one, like www.tasteofphiladelphia.com, but I can't vouch for them. Perhaps they're worth a try?

Oh, and if/when you do visit us, please don't go to the touristy places like Geno's and Pat's. ONLY visitors go there, as real Philadelphians don't bother with their bland taste. A better choice is Jim's steaks, at 4th and South street (walking distance from the other places, but tons better, with real Amoroso rolls).

Good luck in your hunt!!

DaddyO

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,090 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I Want An Authentic Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich In...

Hey there Daddy O,

I've been to Phily twice, once in 93 and again in 98, and both times went to lunch at Jim's and had their cheese steaks. That's why I'm looking for one just like them near my town.

We had one place that was as close as I've found, but they closed down a while back and I've hopelessly been searching for a good cheese steak ever since.

I guess my search is hopeless!!

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,797 posts
1,181 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I Want An Authentic Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich In...

the closest i can get you to a really inspired philly cheesesteak is up the road a piece in kingsport at the purple cow, 1648 east stone dr 423-245-1707. go!!! you'll be glad you did.

6. Re: I Want An Authentic Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich In...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 18:18