We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TR 20th-21st First Timers

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
TR 20th-21st First Timers

Hey y’all,

Just to give you a little background, we [Dad & DD21], have just come back from our 26 day roadtrip around the South, had a great time, to give you a round-up we flew into Atlanta, stayed 4 nights in NOLA, Vicksburg 1 night, Memphis 3 nights, Nashville 3 nights, Chattanooga 1 night, Smoky Mountains 2 nights, Asheville 2 nights, Charleston 3 nights, Savannah 2 nights, and back to Atlanta for 2 nights. These were all brand new locations for us.

====================

Here's my hotel review for the Sheraton Read House, I submitted on the review section

We only stayed here for 1 night, not enough time for Chattanooga, it was just a stop-over for us. Booked the hotel through priceline, no problems checking in, as usual with priceline we had a king room, but there was no hassle changing it to a double room, queens I believe. Free wifi, but no free breakfast or parking, parking was valet at $12. For breakfast I’d recommend heading over the bridge to Aretha’s [nice, small little restaurant, good omelettes, and give coffee-to-go]. Room was nice, no problems with, nice comfy beds. The hotel lobby was decorated festively for Christmas, and free newspapers in the lobby as well. There’s a fitness centre, which we didn’t use.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TR 20th-21st First Timers

Thurs 20th – We left Nashville just after 10am, and headed to Chattanooga. Checked in the Read House at around 12:30pm.

We were going to go to Coolidge Park, but it was raining, so we headed to the Hamilton Place Mall for a bit of shopping. We didn’t know until we got home on the evening, we first just thought it was Chattanooga traffic, but there was some major congestion on the i75S & i24W. That we got off and took the street roads including Brainerd Rd. I never read the full story but it was something like a truck had crashed, and was on both sides of the interstate, and they had to clean up on the diesel before cars could drive on it again.

I can’t remember how long it took us to get to the mall, but it was a lot longer than 20mins. The mall was very busy, not surprising since it was soo close to Christmas. After the mall, we headed to Rock City, for the Christmas lights getting there at 6pm.

We were not prepared for how cold it was, thankfully I had brought a new sweater from the mall, but that still wasn’t enough! We were finished around 7:45pm, after taking a break inside, watching the Barber Shop Chorus with a hot chocolate.

Also Lookout Mountain really is a mountain; you drive up a steep road for a mile or so maybe...in the dark as well for the first time ever.

Back to the hotel, and we walked to Urban Stack, for a burger each, and then a few drinks in Pickle Barrel to end the night. BTW our burgers were really good.

The car park just by Pickle Barrel, as we were walking past, there was a fire truck pulled up, and we couldn’t see what they were there for, as we cut through the car park. And were like ‘what’s that smell?’, then we were like what are we walking on, to look down to see little bits of rubble and broken glass...only to look right and see this charred burnt shell of a car – which must of only just have been burnt out...crazy, whether the car just exploded or, someone purposely did it.

==========================

Fri 21st – We went for breakfast at Aretha’s across the bridge, around 8am. The place is really small only has 4x4top tables, and the bar with seating for about 5 or so. Meaning we had about a 20min or so for a table. There was a couple ahead of using waiting, and really did literally leave 2 mins before a table was really for them, so we got it instead!

We both had omelettes for breakfast, and Dad still says it was the best breakfast of the entire trip, they serve the breakfast with fried potatoes, and I found them the best bit of the meal...they were very good, made with jalapenos.

==========================

And that was Chattanooga for us; we were headed to the Smoky Mountains. Only a short trip, but I would like to come back and see more of what the town has to offer.

I’d really like to Rock City/Lookout Mountain in the day, and see everything there is to see. As there’s 7 states up there, I’d like to be able to try and point them out, pretty difficult to do a night, but doing the Christmas lights was fun...even if we were freezing!!

Thank you everybody, for your help and guidance planning this trip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TR 20th-21st First Timers

The Aretha's people pride themselves on the service taking forever. The menu says that you should expect to wait thirty or forty minutes for your food. I usually get mine in twenty, though.

The folks who own Urban Stack are opening another place a block from where you were staying, a pizza place called Community Pie.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,463 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TR 20th-21st First Timers

Thanks for posting your trip report. Have been reading all of them!!

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,317 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TR 20th-21st First Timers

Come back again in warm weather. We live in a beautiful area.

We have had little cold weather so far this winter. Sorry about that!

Chattanooga, TN
Level Contributor
384 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TR 20th-21st First Timers

Good review. Thanks for taking the time and effort.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,134 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: TR 20th-21st First Timers

Thanks for the replies guys..ooww interesting Community Pizza sounds like it should be good.

For anyone interested, you can read my full trip report here;

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k60442…

7. Re: TR 20th-21st First Timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2014, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Chattanooga