We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in chattanooga

Oxford, GA
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in chattanooga

Our family (me & my husband and our kids, 6, 7, 8, and 16 years old, our 17 year old nephew, my mother and father-in-law, 2 sisters-in-law, and a family friend) will be going to Chattanooga on June 21. We will be staying until Sat., June 24. We are planning on visiting Lake Winnie on Friday, but that is the only thing planned. My father-in-law and my sister-in-law are handicapped, so we need to do things that are accesible for them. We really want to go to Rock City, the Aquarium, I-Max, maybe the zoo. Does anyone have any ideas? What are some must-sees while we are there? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jennifer

Somewhere on Earth...
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in chattanooga

Jennifer,

Good timing on coming to visit us in Chattanooga. Riverbend will be over after this weekend. Check out www.seerockcity.com for some info on Rock City. I'm not sure if they're handicap accessable or not. The aquarium and IMAX will be good visits. Lake Winnie never has impressed me. Their old wooden roller coaster is pretty good and a bit of nostalgia though. You might also take the kids to the Creative Discover museum downtown. It's just a very short walk from the IMAX theater (away from the riverfront). I'm not sure if your family will be in wheelchairs or not. If not, you can ride the free shuttle buses around downtown and up Lookout Mtn. Again, I'm not sure if the buses can handle wheelchairs.

Hope you guys really enjoy your visit here.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in chattanooga

Lake winnie is A great family amusement park and is well maintained and I am sure you will love it. Many locals around here are not impressed with lake winnie simply because they may have been 5 or 10 times a summer. ;) That logic could be placed on any attraction.

Rock city may be difficult for handicap persons. I would call and ask if they have any special routes for the handicaped. The zoo would be a great choice, also chicamauga battle field national park would be a great place to see as well, its very close to lake winnie also. The aquarium and imax are fine for you, I also would not pass up the chattanooga regional history museum, if you like history.

coolidge park is nice to go to on a cooling down summer evening as well.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
40,119 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in chattanooga

No, Rock City is no place for wheelchairs. Even if portions of the Enchanted Trail are made for them, some of the best attractions at Rock City cannot be done in a wheelchair (like Needle's Eye, Fat-Man's Squeeze and Swing-a-long bridge). If you have to take the hanidcap route through Rock City, you won't be getting much out of it.

Also, while the free shuttle busses run from the Choo Choo to the Aquarium, there are NO free shuttles that run to the Lookout Mtn. attractions. You may get to the base of the incline via Carta bus route #15, but there are no busses that go to Rock City or Ruby Falls.

The younger children would like the Creative Discovery Museum, but the older ones would be bored here. If you go, you might want to split up the group and take the older ones somewhere else.

Cooledge Park, Renaissance Park, and walking the Walnut St. pedestrian bridge, as well as the riverfront area, will be nice for all of you. The zoo is small, but fun for little ones. Of course, the aquarium is great, especially if you've not been in the Ocean Journey building yet (its kinda new).

Have lots of fun, but remember to drink plenty of water. It's likely the temps will be in the 90's daily when you're here.

Oxford, GA
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in chattanooga

Thank you all so much! You've been really helpful.

Also, we have reservations at the Hampton Inn on Cummings Hwy. Does anyone know anything about this hotel?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,119 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in chattanooga

The Hampton Inn on Cummins Hwy is a good location and very close to the Lookout Mtn. attractions. Another attraction very close by is the Chattanooga Nature Center, located just up the road about 2 miles or so.

You'll have several restaruants close by and a Super Wal-Mart just a few blocks away. You're only about a 10-15 minute drive from downtown at this location on I-24.

I don't know much about the hotel itself, but most of the Hampton Inns are reasonably nice and have a teriffic breakfast.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in chattanooga

My thoughts on Lake Winnie: Admission is $5 and the unlimited rides pass is $19. It’s a good park, but I’d spend the time somewhere else… heck, admission to Lake Winnie costs more than the aquarium! Overall, I’d say that although it’s pretty fun, it is also out of the way and overpriced. However, if you do decide to go anyway, do check out Chickamauga Battlefield.

As for the Hampton Inn… TA reviews here: http://tinyurl.com/hjz74. Looks convienient to Lookout Mountain, but too far from downtown, where most of the attractions and restaurants. For the price I think you could go closer downtown also. I don’t see any reason for you to want to be close to Lookout Mountain, I don’t think any of the attractions are wheelchair accessible (correct me if I’m wrong), except for CNC, maybe. I give two thumbs up for the aquarium, and the zoo is good on cloudy days. A walk along the riverfront, the Walnut Street Bridge, and Coolidge Park is also a must.

Chattanooga...
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in chattanooga

Kats has a point about rock city!

19 lpus 5 bucks for lake winnie is really not bad. sure its more than most attractions in chattanooga but if you consider other amusement parks the same size its very reasonable.

compare to these parks about teh same size or some even smaller..

Alabama adventure - (formally visionland) 29.99 admission - 6 bucks to park

Beech bend - 24.00 admission 10 dollers entry fee, free parking

American Adventures - (note all they have is about 14 kiddie rides!!) 15.99 plus 5.00 to park

Magical midway - 22.95 for a 3 hour armband!!! free parking free entry

old towne - 20.00 all you can ride wristband, (does not include some rides where tickets are needed) parking ? entry ?

So you see it may be high compared to other chattanooga attractions but across teh board lake winnie is one of the best value parks in the country!!!

Also I think kats was right about the nature center. If you can get a wheelchair through the trial , I think you could, I would try the nature trail as they have animal exhibits there as well. Of course if you do go pay the extra couple of bucks and do reflection riding, its beutiful!!!

roseville mi
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in chattanooga

chas what is reflection riding?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,119 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in chattanooga

Reflection Riding is an "extension" of the Chattanooga Nature Center and is located on the same grounds. You can get a "combo" ticket to do both sections.

Chattanooga
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days in chattanooga

Here's a Web site that will help you plan your visit. If you look under the calendar listing, you'll see lots of links. Have a great time.

www.chattanoogasummer.com