We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Leonardtown...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Chattanooga to Blue Ridge Parkway

We are planning a road trip this summer and we plan to spend a few days in Chattanooga. From there we would like to travel on the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Luray, VA area. How far is Chattanooga from the Blue Ridge Parkway and what is the best route? Also, we will be traveling with two children (ages 7 and 9). Are there convenient places to stop and eat or use the restroom on the Blue Ridge Parkway?

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
8,118 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chattanooga to Blue Ridge Parkway

I suggest entering the BRP near its origin between Sylva & Waynesville, NC. About 160 miles from Chattanooga - 3 1/2 hours. Take US 64 - 74 from Chattanooga to the BRP - a beautiful drive thru the mountains on an excellent divided road. Remember the BRP has a speed limit of 45 mph most of the way (a few areas of 35 mph) so plan your time accordingly. There are a few visitors centers with rest rooms on the BRP but there are many nearby towns along the way with restaurants, etc. I suggest contacting the BRP for a brochure on detailed mile by mile descriptions of facilities, nearby towns, etc.

www.blueridgeparkway.org

Edited: 16 February 2014, 17:29
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,524 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chattanooga to Blue Ridge Parkway

Chattanooga is about three hours from the beginning of the parkway. You can get an exact estimate (oxymoron I know) from Google Maps. The beginning of the parkway is in Cherokee, North Carolina. Technically Oconaluftee in Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

The parkway is designed for touring, so there are frequent places for eating, etc, along its length.

You can get more information on the parkway at the Great Smoky Mountains National Park forum. If you have any questions about your time in Chattanooga, don't hesitate to ask.

I'll also note that there are two ways to the BRP from CHA: through the Ocoee river gorge and the Olympic site, and over the Cherohala Skyway. Both routes are pretty; the latter is spectacular. Takes a bit longer.

Edited: 16 February 2014, 17:40
3. Re: Chattanooga to Blue Ridge Parkway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Chattanooga