We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dickson

Which Dickson hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
palatine, il
3 posts
Save Topic
dickson

Are there tax advantages for senior citizens in TN?

Franklin, TN
Level Contributor
688 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dickson

typically, no, nothing statewide. A few counties offer some property tax relief, however it is based on not making over a certain amount of income per year ($13,000, I believe), how long you have lived in TN, etc.

Tennessees' state sales tax is about 9.25% on all items other than food, 8.25% on food. Gas is reasonable. I guess where the real break comes in, Tennessee is one of 5 states in the country with no State Income Tax. Noting the old school politics around here, I don't foresee that coming around anytime soon, what with the lottery starting up last year.

Tennessee is actually listed as one of the most tax friendly states in the country, with taxes being < 2% of income.

I think in a previous post, you mentioned something about Dickson. Nice, relatively small town about 30 min W. of Nashville. No major shopping malls there. Nice cross of small town and good growth. Not knowing what your goal is, kind of hard to know what you are looking for.

Good luck.

palatine, il
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: dickson

We are looking for a small town close to a larger city (like Nashville). I would like to be able to walk to stores, post office, etc. or have some public transportation available such as senior citizen buses. Right now, transportation is not a problem as we are both able to drive (we are in our 60's).

We are also looking for milder winters than in the mid-west.

The price of housing seems more reasonable there than in the Chicago metro area too.

dfbromil

Get answers to your questions about Dickson
Recent Conversations