We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice neighbordhoods west or north of the city

Which Knoxville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Franklin...
Level Contributor
252 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Nice neighbordhoods west or north of the city

Hello again. My husband is flying down to Knoxville to interview for a job in Oak Ridge next week. He will have a few free hours before heading back to the airport and wanted to check out some potential areas for us in case we decide to move down there. Knowing that he'd be working in this area (and I'm not sure where I'd end up...would love to find something at Scripps since I'm in marketing, looks like they're slightly west of Knoxville), what would be some nice places for him to explore that would be within a 20-30 minute drive at most from Oak Ridge? Also, if he has time to get into the city, are there areas he should check out to get a feel for the city?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice neighbordhoods west or north of the city

Hi, Minnowhead. I was in Knoxville this weekend visiting my in-laws. We were over in the Farmington area to look at an office he's opening up and there looked to be a number of new subdivisions going up. New development seemed to be going on.

From Oak Ridge, you'd take 62 (becomes 162), also known as Pellissipi Parkway. Then get on 140 south and get off at Northshore Drive. I don't know anything personally about the area but it looked nice. I wish I could be of more help. Others may know much more.

Franklin...
Level Contributor
252 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice neighbordhoods west or north of the city

Thanks peachyswan, I found it on the map and will mention it to him as a possible location to check out. Any other locals have thoughts? He leaves in two days and I would love to have a few areas to tell him about. Not sure if we'll have another chance to get down there to decide if we want to go so I'm hoping he can get a really good feel for the area. Anyone?

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice neighbordhoods west or north of the city

Oak Ridge itself has some very nice neighborhoods. Scripps (Knoxville News Sentinal) is just right outside of downtown. Traffic in K-town especially coming from the East or West on I-40 can be a bear during rush hour. West of Knoxville there's Farragut, Solway and Karns. Farragut has the largest selection of really nice up-scale housing but some can be found in Solway and Karns too. Clinton, just east of Oak Ridge is kind of nice as well. Do you want city living, suburbs or rural? You can find it all in most of these areas.

Franklin...
Level Contributor
252 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice neighbordhoods west or north of the city

Thanks Coaster. We would probably prefer suburbs for the most part but would like easy access into the city. My husband would probably like a bit more land than we have now (which doesn't say much...maybe an acre or two) but I'm not sure if that means going more rural? We don't need anything really crazy, just something nice since we'd like to move a step up from the crazy cost of living here near Boston. I'll definitely tell him about these places but based on this info, let me know if they no longer sound right. Thanks again.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice neighbordhoods west or north of the city

Solway, Karns and Clinton sound more like what you are looking for. Clinton is the bigger town of the 3 with more shopping. Karns (unincorpated) and Solway (unincorporated still, I think) are a little more rural especially Solway though none are what I would call farming communities any longer.

Franklin...
Level Contributor
252 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice neighbordhoods west or north of the city

Thanks costermeister. I found all of the towns you mentioned on the map and they all look very close to Oak Ridge which is perfect. This is great that we now have a place to start in case we get the offer and decide to head down there. My husband is much more hesitant to leave than me but I'm really ready for a change in scenery!

knoxville, tn
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice neighbordhoods west or north of the city

I grew up in Knoxville, and recently moved back after many years in Philadelphia. Sequoyah Hills is one of the only old neighborhoods in Knoxville with loads of charm and character and has an incredible park right along the river with great jogging paths, etc. It's closer to downtown, but you'd be driving against traffic to Oak Ridge and Scripps. Definitely less than 30 minutes to Oak Ridge. Finally, downtown Knoxville is undergoing an incredible rejuvanation and is a very exciting area, especially if you are used to being in Boston or other northern cities.

For newer neighborhoods closer to Scripps and Oak Ridge with big houses for the money, but less character, look along Northshore Road (exit off I-140, 10 minutes to Scripps, 20 minutes to Oak Ridge). To the east there is Whittington Creek, to the west there is Montgomery Cove, Riversound, River Club.

good luck! Knoxville is a great city with incredible culture (opera, ballet, concerts, museums) for the size and unbelievable outdoor activities. In 1-2 yrs the downtown area will be booming with restaurants, concert venues, etc- enough even for a northern urbanite!

knoxville, tn
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice neighbordhoods west or north of the city

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to reply to your culture shock post; not sure if that thread was still active.

Again, I am a native Knoxvillian who has moved back after many years in Philadelphia. My wife and I are also young professionals in our 30s without kids. Between UT, Scripps, the huge medical community, and Oak Ridge there are loads of young, married couples. If you are in to the outdoors, Knoxville can't be beat. Check out the Smokies obviously, but also Big South Fork, Cherokee National Forest, and many other "unknown" outdoor areas. More than enough dining out options. Few to no 5 star restaurants, but plenty of ethnic and unique restaurants for all tastes and budgets. Loads of cultural activities for a town this size. Again, the downtown is undergoing a massive rejuvanation. If you don't have kids, I would strongly consider buying a loft downtown. People down here will happily accept any nice people, no matter where they are from. We loved Philadelphia, but love Knoxville even more. If we are craving big city activities, it's just a direct 2 hr flight to New York, Boston, DC, or Chicago or a 3 hour drive to Atlanta.

good luck.

Columbia, South...
Level Contributor
1,143 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice neighbordhoods west or north of the city

Hi minnow - you know, you all might actually enjoy living in Oak Ridge. It is an interesting deviation from typical east Tennessee... I don't know if you know anything at all about the history of the town, but it's probably one of the most diverse cities of its size in the South. People moved there from all over the country in the 40's when the town began, and they're still coming from everywhere. You definitely won't be alone with a northern accent! And if you plan on having kids, their school system can't be beat.

I'm not sure which Scripps you're talking about. The newspaper is close to downtown, but the TV networks are in deep west Knoxville, not far from Oak Ridge. I know some people who've worked at HGTV, and I've looked into working there myself. Apparently they're terrific if you can get in with them! Seems like Knoxville always have marketing positions available. If you want to include medical marketing/sales, there are several hospitals and home health places that are frequently hiring, too.

Franklin...
Level Contributor
252 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice neighbordhoods west or north of the city

Hi there dpladyreed. I hadn't checked this forum in about a week because we found out last week that the job my husband interviewed for was put on hold (I mentioned this in your Hawaii post, not sure if you saw it). They don't know when or even if it will open up again so for now we are just assuming it's not happening. I'm so disappointed, I was really hoping for a change. Now I'm accepting the fact that we'll have another long winter here in New England. I guess it just wasn't meant to be at this time. Like he said to me, they could call him back in six months or even more and then it would be a possibility again. If that ever happens, I'm sure you'll hear from me again. Thanks for all of the advice, and yes, I was actually referring to the TV networks. I would imagine they would be a highly sought after company...seems like it would be a fun place to work. Maybe another time!