We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BoomsDay 2011

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
BoomsDay 2011

My husband is an absolute fireworks fanatic & we are consideing traveling out to TN from coastal NC to stay in the area for a few days over the Labor Day weekend to catch the fireworks on Sun 9/4. At this point the closest hotel space avail in the downtown area is priced out of sight and very limited in availablilty so I'd like to know the best way to get to the viewing area along the waterfront should we stay a bit outside of the downtown area but still in metropolitan Knoxville. I've looked at the public transit map but have no idea how efficient it is. We do know that presuming we don't stay right in the downtown area that we would not want to drive in (and esp not drive OUT!) the eve of the fireworks, so can you advise if coming in from somewhere via public transportation is feasible & then if so what route should we look at along for mid level lodging (ie Comfort suites, Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, Sheraton)? Thank you kindly!

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BoomsDay 2011

Don't even THINK about relying on Knoxvile's Public Transport for your vacation plans. Staying in downtown would definitely be the easiest thiing for you to do. Staying on the University of Tennessee Campus would also be a close and walkable place. Yes, driving into and out of downtown on Boomsday would not be a good idea.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
49 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BoomsDay 2011

Here is the website for boomsday

http://www.boomsday.org/

Knoxville, TN USA
Level Contributor
6 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BoomsDay 2011

there's a really nice new houseboat down at the downtown marina, Volunteer Landing, right by neyland stadium, for rent. It's 3 bedroom, 2 bath, luxury. You can watch the fireworks from right there. Plus houseboats are really cool to stay on.

www.knoxvillehouseboat.com

Good luck!

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,792 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BoomsDay 2011

I don't think the houseboat listed above qualifies for mid-level housing as the OP requested...at least not after looking at the prices on the website. Yikes!

Knoxville, TN USA
Level Contributor
6 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BoomsDay 2011

Well, It's a 3 bedroom houseboat... so if there were say 3 couples splitting the cost, which is $1200 for two nights, or $600 per night, that's only $200 per couple, per night (or $100 per person per night). I guess thats how I was looking at it :-)

On non-game days and non-event days the cost is much cheaper... like $400-500 per night. So for a few couples splitting it, that's a lot cheaper than getting a hotel downtown in most cases. I think it a cool idea.

6. Re: BoomsDay 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 12:19