We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Football game in Knoxville

Toronto
Level Contributor
14 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Football game in Knoxville

Hi there. I'm a big fan of the Tennessee Volunteers from Canada and I'd like to plan a real nice trip with my wife and 12 year old to go to a game next year. I know getting tickets is a different matter entirely, however I'm looking for recommendations on a nice place to stay that is close (walking distance?) to major attractions and in reasonable proximity to the stadium. We would likely come down a few days early to experience what Knoxville has to offer and make this a real memorable trip. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

East Tennessee
Level Contributor
632 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Football game in Knoxville

Tough year for we Volunteers but we are indeed faithful and hopeful. The schedule for next season will not be set for a while due to the new teams entering the conference. That said, expect Alabama and Florida games to be at Neyland next season.

If you are wanting a hotel near the campus, then I would start making some reservations now for next season. Reasonably close hotels include the Holiday Inn Worlds Fair, Hilton, Crowne Plaza, Hampton Inn and the Marriott. Other good hotels are not really within walking distance. If I were coming for the other sites, then I would recommend that you stay in or close to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park or somewhere between Knoxville and the Park. That could be Maryville, Kodak, Strawberry Plains, Sevierville, Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg. West Knoxville is an option also.

Knoxville things to do center around the large UT campus. Perhaps catch a volleyball or soccer match, visit the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame, visit the football facilities on campus. Perhaps a tour of Neyland stadium a day or two before the game.

The game is a day long experience. There are tailgating parties everywhere, VOL Park, the Vol Walk, the Pride of the Southland Band march into the stadium, the campus bookstore is full of ORANGE and UT items. Dining along the river and take in the VOL Navy. Just watch over 100,000 of your close friends and a few visitors.

If I were coming for a big weekend trip for the first time, I would stay at one of the earlier mentioned hotels for the night before the game and the night of the game. I would stay out closer to the GSMNP area for park visits the rest of the time. It is at worst an hour and half drive during heavy game day traffic but much better otherwise

Tickets are available. I have been to three games this year and due to the downward swing the past four years there have been a few empty seats and that was at the Georgia and LSU games this year. Coming from that far away I know that you want tickets ahead of time, so watch the UT website and order them online next summer. I have been going to games for many years and with over 100,000 tickets you will find tickets.

Please let us know if we can provide you additional information.

Toronto
Level Contributor
14 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Football game in Knoxville

Thank you for the feedback!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Football game in Knoxville

The Hilton is perfect to visit UT and downtown. Have a great trip.

…hilton.com/en_US/…index.do

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Football game in Knoxville

Have stayed at the Hilton for events on campus, and while some would say not "walking distance", on a good weather day, if you are fit is very convenient. If not they probably have a shuttle. (outside of traffic it is a 5 minute drive.)

There is also a Hampton Inn about a block away. but their rates are NOT better than the Hilton, and they have fewer amenities. That particular Hilton is one of the cleanest and with the best customer service I have stayed in the last few years. There is a view of the river, and it is walking distance (2-3 blocks) to Market Square, good shopping and restaurants.

That said, if you are coming all the way from Ontario, I would consider a visit the the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, about a 30-40 minute drive from Knoxville. Breathtaking views, drives, hikes, great activities, shopping, even kitschy touristy stuff if you like that. lots of hotels, as well as cabins in the mountains. It is a HUGE tourism area, so give plenty of time to search it. There are both busy and quiet areas, but definitely worth visiting, even if only a couple days.

Just my opinion, but i do not think there is 4 days worth to do in Knoxville alone.

Miller

Tennessee
Level Contributor
49 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Football game in Knoxville

Another place to look at is Knoxville 4 Points Sheraton .

www.cumberlandhousehotel.com/

6. Re: Football game in Knoxville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2012, 05:18