We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving...

Which Knoxville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Thibodaux, LA
9 posts
Save Topic
Moving...

Hi, My wife and I will be moving to the greater Knoxville area soon, possible date in September. Here's my question... I'm trying to find information on whats the best way to move, either rent a truck or go the "u-pack" option and pack my things and have it delivered to the knoxville area. I'm having trouble finding an approx. total cost on renting a truck.

We are moving from Thibodaux, Louisiana which is approx. 660 miles from Knoxville (about a 11-12 hour drive). Anyone who has moved from a similar distance who can offer some insight, I would be greatful.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
498 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving...

Hi Sargeant!

We moved last fall from Fort Myers, FL. It was about 800 miles distance. I got estimates from U-Haul and somewhere else (not sure where) and they were about $1,000 to rent a truck. I'm not sure how much it is for movers.

We actually had a homemade trailer. We got a temporary plate from Florida. It was for seven days and cost less than $10! Our biggest concern was hauling my husband's auto mechanic tools. They weighed about 8,000 pounds!

It worked for us but I don't think this info will help you. I would try getting estimates over the internet.

Cottage Hills...
Level Contributor
547 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving...

Sgt: I know where Thibodaux is, our son graduated from Nicholls State U.

We are presently in Metairie, and are in the same position as you are.

We tried the internet and got some rates for hauling and storage from PODS. They have a website, and will give you an estimate of the cost for two sizes of PODS. If you are not familiar with these, they place a storage unit in front of your home. You load it with your belongings and give them a call. They will come and pick it up and deliver it to wherever.

They have two sizes of storage units, you will have to estimate the one you need that would fit your situation.

Have not gone the U Haul route, for me this would be a real venture.

Best I can offer...Good luck.