We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Knoxville - Areas to Avoid?

Which Knoxville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Joliet, IL
Level Contributor
239 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Knoxville - Areas to Avoid?

My sons and I are going on a cruise in June out of South Carolina. We will be driving from our home in Illinois to the port in Charleston. Mapping it out, it looks like Knoxville is a good point for staying the night, as we don't want to drive it all in one day.

I am looking at possibly pricelining the hotel - but need to find out about the various areas. We are looking at Downtown Knoxville, Knoxville East, and Knoxville North. Are any of these areas to be avoided or would anyone recommend one over the other? Also, if part of the area is good and part of the area not so good, can anyone offer hotels maybe to stay away from or look for in particular?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,297 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Knoxville - Areas to Avoid?

I suggest Knoxville East or North. Not downtown.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
396 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Knoxville - Areas to Avoid?

Personally I would pick Knoxville west.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Knoxville - Areas to Avoid?

It's a little disconcerting to see someone from Chattanooga giving advice about where to stay in Knoxville...where I've lived for the last 45 + years.

Here's the scoop on the various locations:

1) West - the more expensive side of town with lots of restaurants and shops and malls. Instant interstate access.

2) South - Currently almost cutoff from downtown via a demolished bridge and no interstate access. This is an access to the Smoky Mountains. Not a tourist destination.

3) North - not convenient to I-40. Has some chain and Mom/Pop restaurants. Can be good if you know what you're doing.

4) East - this is the tricky one. I consider just east of downtown as "East". This includes the Magnolia/Asheville Hwy area of town...I would NOT consider this a viable option for a tourist. Some people consider east as far away as the Strawberry Plains Pike exit of I-40. I wouldn't stay there either just because it's so far removed from anything of interest although it's not a dangerous place at all.

5) Downtown - don't know why anybody should avoid Downtown. It has enjoyed a vibrant comeback as of late and is much more interesting in my mind than any other part of town. Note - I do not recommend the "Old City" for tourists. Some may consider the Old City to be part of downtown, but it's just a little removed and can be good if you're experienced. But people who don't know anything about the area should probably not venture in especially after dark.

Joliet, IL
Level Contributor
239 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Knoxville - Areas to Avoid?

Thanks for the detail tmynatt :-) The differentiations you offered are good to know. I see on the priceline map of the different areas that West appears to be "out of the way" for the way I am going on the trip in general. How much further out of the way is it really for me than say staying downtown or in Knoxville East? Not knowing what your downtown looks like or how traffic is there, does it take a lot more time to navigate and get to the hotels there off the highway (or for getting back on the highway in the morning to continue our trip)? We will not be doing any touristy stuff while there. Just want to check into our hotel room, have dinner, and go to bed. In the morning, we will want to have breakfast and hit the road again. I don't want to have to do much to jump right back on the highway. I am thinking downtown or east looks best to avoid traffic in the morning getting through the knoxville area. But again, being from Chicago area, I think of downtown as I know it here. Not sure what "downtown" looks like in Knoxville.

Also, if this helps, the hotel possibilities for downtown Knoxville are:

Crowne Plaza Knoxville Downtown University

Hilton Knoxville

Holiday Inn Downtown World's Fair Park

Knoxville Marriott (formerly Hyatt Regency)

Of these, it looks like the Holiday Inn gets most of the winning bids (at least lately).

For Knoxville East, possibilities are:

Fairfield Inn

Best Western Plus Strawberry Fields

Super 8 Knoxville East

Red Roof Inn Knoxville East

Looks like Super 8 is where most winning bids in this area go.

Thanks!

Edited: 29 November 2012, 16:07
vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Knoxville - Areas to Avoid?

It's been several years, but I've stayed in the downtown Holiday Inn a few times, and it was fine. Now I usually stay in the Turkey Creek area (west), but since you are looking just for a convenient location, downtown might be best. I've also stayed in some chains east of town, but that has been a while also. IMO, you should be fine as far as safety is concerned at any of the chains you're looking at.

Joliet, IL
Level Contributor
239 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Knoxville - Areas to Avoid?

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and submitted a couple lowball bids for kicks and ended up getting the Best Western Plus Strawberry Inn & Suites for $35 ($48 with tax) which includes free breakfast - which I was very pleased with since booking directly with them would've cost $112 with tax.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
33 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Knoxville - Areas to Avoid?

Strawberry Plains is a fine area for a travel stop. There are several restaurants (Outback, Cracker Barrel, Puleo's (Italian) for sit-down; and just about any fast-food place you can think of), and it is right off I-40. Hope you have a great trip!

Joliet, IL
Level Contributor
239 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Knoxville - Areas to Avoid?

Thank you!

Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
184 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Knoxville - Areas to Avoid?

I hope tht you will take the time to go downtown. There is plenty to do either during the day or the evening. Market Square in June would lots of fun.

10. Re: Knoxville - Areas to Avoid?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 03:16