We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip

Which Knoxville hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
1 post
Save Topic
Trip

I plan on taking a trip to Knoxville from DC by way of Megabus. Is thier any good hotels in the area and sports bars?

Edited: 16 January 2013, 22:55
Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip

You mean near the Megabus stop? Hotels - St Oliver, Hilton, Hampton Inn, Crowne Plaza, Marriott, Holiday Inn.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip

Any suggestions for tourists in Knoxville? My wife and I will be traveling from San Antonio and stay a day and overnight in Knoxville while we wait for our adult kids and grandchild to fly in. Will be spending a week in Gatlinburg, hiking in GSM.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip

If you're getting into Knoxville early and you're whole purpose is to stay in Gatlinburg to hike then why don't you just go on to Gatlinburg, check into you hotel and come back to the airport the next day to pick the rest of your family?

It's not like it would be great distance to travel from Gatlinburg back to the airport. Knoxville is not the most interesting place to visit although you could definitely spend a day (and night) just vegging out and waiting for them if you really wanted to. It just seems like it would require a little effort to spend the night in Knoxville or just a little bit more effort to spend the night in Gatlinburg.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip

thanks, did not realize they were that close

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip

i am not sure why i thought nashville and knoxville were similar in attractions

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip

No - Nashville and Chattanooga are vastly more interesting than Knoxville.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip

appreciate the info; can you tell this is our first trip to Tenn?

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip

You'll probably have a great time in the mountains when you get out and about in the wilderness. If you spend all of your time in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge however I think you'll probaby go numb. I guess I'll never understand why people go to Pigeon Forge and spend a vacation week. The mountains are beautiful. PF is like tourist-trap central. EEK! Gatlinburg is a bit better, but it still has its share of tacky t-shirt shops and timeshare salespeople.

Maryville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
184 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip

Sorry but its most likely too late but there are several great things to see and do in the Knoxville area. Perhaps the above posters just don't get out much.

Portage la Prairie...
Level Contributor
53 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip

waterdogooder I would be interested in what you can recommend in the Knoxville area. I will be attending a training session there the end of May and will have a bit of free time so would like to take in a few local sites.