We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake/Pond Fishing from East Knoxville to the Smoky Mtns?

Westport...
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Lake/Pond Fishing from East Knoxville to the Smoky Mtns?

My dad has been awesome to take a trip with me to Knoxville since I am serious about moving to the area in the next few years. We love to fish here at home at lakes and specifically ponds. Just from the shore and catch and release. At home we usually fish for bass, sunfish, catfish etc.

We are staying in East Knoxville and will be taking a trip to the Smoky Mtns so I was thinking somewhere between or in those areas. We are just going for a few hours.

Does anyone have any advice on great places to relax and fish from East knoxville to the Smokies? We're looking for lakes or ponds with public access. If you know any restrictions on bait for these areas, please post any info you are aware of. (I'll do more digging myself too) Also best places to get a fishing license for non residents for a day?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,988 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake/Pond Fishing from East Knoxville to the Smoky Mtns?

Douglas and Cherokee lakes would be your closest options from East Knoxville. Heading towards the Smokies makes Douglas the best choice. Public access for fishing from the bank can be limiting. There's public access all along the area south of Douglas Dam and through Sevier County park accessable via Dyke Rd and Boat Launch Rd. There's also a small parking around and access along Providence Rd a bit further south. Will you have a boat or did you want to rent a boat?

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,988 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake/Pond Fishing from East Knoxville to the Smoky Mtns?

Fishing licenses are available on-line from TWRA or at Walmart, K-Mart and most sporting goods stores, bait shops and marinas.

Westport...
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake/Pond Fishing from East Knoxville to the Smoky Mtns?

Thanks so much for the replies.

We will not be renting a boat. Just fishing from the shoreline.

Does anyone know how the fishing is at Seven Islands Refuge? There and IC King Park came up as public places to fish near knoxville though I heard IC King Park you have to be careful people wise.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,988 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake/Pond Fishing from East Knoxville to the Smoky Mtns?

Waste of time and dangerous to go to IC King. When I lived in the area years ago I tried IC King a few times and caught nothing. IC King is getting well out of East Knoxville. Seven Islands was private land when I was living in the area. I did enjoy fishing the French Broad River in a boat or canoe but decent access via the shore is difficult due to private property all along the river which limits you to access around bridges or where a road parallels the river. The shore along the river tends to be pretty over grown in most places too and a great place to meet a snake.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,988 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake/Pond Fishing from East Knoxville to the Smoky Mtns?

If you are willing to drive a bit probably the best fishing from shore would be the public access area just below Fort Loudon Dam in Lenoir City. Fishing there is best if they are runing at least 1 generator. You never know what you might catch there.

Westport...
Level Contributor
3 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake/Pond Fishing from East Knoxville to the Smoky Mtns?

Thank you so much for your help. I think we will give lake Douglas a try from the roads you mentioned.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake/Pond Fishing from East Knoxville to the Smoky Mtns?

Hi i am travelling to knowville this coming week via megabus. i havent got a place to stay yet as the area situation is proving to be a debate.

if possible i just want a clean hotel, in an ok area.

please can anyone advise me of areas best to stay in?

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,988 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake/Pond Fishing from East Knoxville to the Smoky Mtns?

I would suggest starting new post instead of hijacking this one since your interest is not in fishing. The Marriott is very near the mega bus station. Other downtown options are Hampton Inn, Hilton and Crown Plaza.

knoxville
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake/Pond Fishing from East Knoxville to the Smoky Mtns?

Not sure if you've already taken your trip to Knoxville but, if you like pond fishing you can go to Victor Ashe Park. Google it for directions but, it's only about 20 mins. from East Knox. i'd say...

The pond is in the back of the park and is stocked at least once a year. Hugh cats in there. It's really a nice place.

Edited: 29 August 2013, 13:18
10. Re: Lake/Pond Fishing from East Knoxville to the Smoky Mtns?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2014, 05:16