We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping sites near Knoxville TN

South Euclid, Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Camping sites near Knoxville TN

Traveling to TN in a few weeks with my daughter who wants to move there. so we are scouting the area and see what there. We want to tent camp then travel to see towns and sites to get a feel of everyday living.

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,324 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping sites near Knoxville TN

My first thought? Go to Fall River Falls State Park. It's 90 minutes away BUT it will give you the feel for the plateau before coming into the valley. Once in the valley while checking out the Knoxville area you can check on campgrounds around here but the State Park system is $8-$20 a night. Beautiful and well maintained; safe. Or you can get along the freeways for $20 plus per night. This time of year you want to avoid Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg but you can camp near the Smokies by going thru Maryville towards Townsend. Google Townsend and avoid the madness and traffic in PF and Gatlinburg. I call that place "sardine" camping. Townsend is 60 minutes from downtown Knox (depending on what time of day you go). Townsend is also a great place to go tubing and go in the back way to the Smokies. After your Googling I will try and help more if you like.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping sites near Knoxville TN

Hello Inez.

I would also like to throw out Big Ridge State Park as a fantastic option. It's about 20 mins north of Knoxville and you can also easily access towns like Clinton, Norris and Oak Ridge. They have tent and camper sites and cabins for rent.

Athens, Alabama
Level Contributor
3,960 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping sites near Knoxville TN

I'm not a camper but know of these places from living in the area for many years. Norris Dam State Park is convenient to I-75 and has 10 or so primitive tent campsites in the eastern campground. TVA operates 2 campgrounds at Douglas Dam on Douglas Lake near Sevierville and both have some tent campsites. There's the tailwater campground along the river below the dam and the headwater campground on the lake above the dam. The only issue with the TVA sites is they are self-service with no way to make advance reservations so getting a space is pot-luck.

South Euclid, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping sites near Knoxville TN

Thanks for the information. We ended up at Cove Lake State Park. about 30 min north of Knoxville. It is a very nice and friendly campground. Meet some very polite and friendly people who went home and brought back fire wood for us because we weren't able to find a place selling fire wood. My daughter is in love with the area and loves the southern hospitality. We hope to get down there again this fall.

Great Smoky...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
3,324 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping sites near Knoxville TN

Fall in the mountains with all the colors is awesome! The timing varies (by elevation) but you can pretty much plan on mid to late October. Trust me - DON'T miss it.

6. Re: Camping sites near Knoxville TN

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2015, 07:17