We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Skerrie a nice spot for overnight stay before flying out

Which Skerries hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Skerrie a nice spot for overnight stay before flying out

At the end of our trip to Ireland we neeed to stay somewhere near the international Dublin airport for a 12 noon flight the follow day. Is Skerrie a nice spot for a final night in Ireland? We would like a nice irish pub or restuarant experience for dinner before we go. Also a pretty village environment to stay. Also I am told the White Cottages B&B is the place to stay - yes?

If our flight to London is at 12 noon, and we have a hire car to drop off at the airport, am I correct in assuming we need to be at the airport say by 10am? Your advice would be welcome, thank you

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Skerrie a nice spot for overnight stay before flying out

Skerries is a nice pleasant location, though I do not know the B&B you mention. It is about 20km north of the airport and you will miss rush hour traffic if you aim to be there about 10am. There are some nice pubs there but I don't think that there is a huge choice of restaurants.

If having a good choice of pubs and restaurants, in addition to convenience of access to the airport are criteria, I'd check out Malahide and Howth, as both offer a greater range of pubs and eating places than Skerries. Both areas are closer to the aiport than Skerries, though all are coastal villages with harbours/marinas.

That said, none of the 3 locations are small pretty "Irish" villages - you are in fairly close proximity to Dublin and all the locations mentioned are part of the outer suburbs/commuter belt of the city. Nevertheless, all are pleasant locations to stay.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Skerrie a nice spot for overnight stay before flying out

While Skerries is less dramatic in terms of scenery than Howth and is upmmarket and chique than Malahide, it is an authentic north Dublin county town with a lot of charm.

In days gone by it used to be a holiday destination for working class Dubliners and while its population has expanded greatly in recent years, it's still a semi rural coastal town with a lot of original characteristics intact and a good bit of history attached. Look out for the tiny thatched cottages in the centre of the town and the medieval warren of little streets near the harbour. It has a small workaday fishing harbour (very little signs of the monied pleasure marinas found in Malahide and Howth) and a number of good restaurants and pubs. The Stoop Your Head pub in the harbour has lovely views and great fish and seafood. The Red Bank Restaurant is renowned and Nealon's is a great spot for a pint. There's a farmers' market on Saturdays and Nealon's and The Coast both regularly host traditional music sessions. There's also long sandy beaches, two restored functioning windmills with a little museum attached and Ardgillen Castle to explore.

I love both Malahide and Howth and am a regular visitor to both but Skerries is a much less touristy option which for me always manages to keep it down to earth and real. Getting to Dublin Airport from Skerries is easy and takes about 20-30 minutes to drive.

http://www.tasteofskerries.com/index.html

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Skerrie a nice spot for overnight stay before flying out

Hi LVL,

Skerries is perfect for your last night.I don't know the B&B though. You'll drive to the airport in 20min without traffic problems at that time of morning. Aim to be at the car drop off @ 9.30, giving you 30 min to get to the terminal and check-in.

And, don't leave town without a visit to the Red Bank. Love it. Hope this helps. B

PS Red bank also has guest house accommodation

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Skerrie a nice spot for overnight stay before flying out

LVL

Seems like I'm being outvoted by the Skerries Tourist Development Board!!....but yes, Skerries is nice and wil tick the box in terms of what you need for an overnight close to the airport.

D

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Skerrie a nice spot for overnight stay before flying out

Domhnall,

Not for me I hope. B

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Skerrie a nice spot for overnight stay before flying out

Another vote for Skerries and agree with TAPL wholeheartedly. Be sure to allocate some time to have a stop-off at Ardgillan Park and Castle to get the last of the Irish air into your lungs before your long flight home (been there and done that!)and get fab views right up the coast to the Cooley Peninsula. There is a fantastic walk especially so on a sunny day. fingalcoco.ie/CommunityRecreationandAmenitie…

After that, stop off at Joe May's pub on the Harbourfront for a last pint of the black stuff and possibly eat in 'Stoop your Head (or 'Stoops' if you are a local) for a bite to eat. The food is great and has been consistently so for years.

The Red Bank as Bikiestour has said is good too - but possibly more 'formal' www.redbank.ie

7. Re: Is Skerrie a nice spot for overnight stay before flying out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 18:23
Get answers to your questions about Skerries