We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aran for a knitting nerd.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Aran for a knitting nerd.

Apart from tourist shops selling sweaters - is there actually any Aran Knitting ON the Aran Islands anymore?

I have an elderly Japanese lady friend planning a trip to Aran in May. She is a keen knitter and would love to see/join in/learn more about Aran knitting.

But I worry she will go all the way there and find nothing but souvenirs and everything for visitors locally geared towards cycling and hiking.

Or is there a knitting center/museum place somewhere else in the region?

Amanda

Dun Aonghasa
Ancient Ruins, Historic Sites
Na Seacht Teampaill (The Seven Churches)
Ancient Ruins, Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aran for a knitting nerd.

Hi Amanda

I have never seen anything regarding the actual knitting of Aran sweaters while on Inis Mór. I can't even remember seeing wool for sale and to be honest I can't remember ever seeing significant numbers of sheep on the island to produce the amount of wool needed to supply the numbers of Aran sweaters in the gift shops on the island. I have a sneaking suspicion they are all imported to the island though I stand to be corrected about this!

There is a heritage centre on Inis Mór which, if you called them, might be able to direct you better. Their phone number is 00 353 99 61355.

The only other place I can think of which might have knitting demonstrations is the craft village in An Spideál, which is on the road from Galway city to the ferry at Rossaveal. http://ceardlann.com/

I hope your friend enjoys Inis Mór.

2. Re: Aran for a knitting nerd.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2012, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about Aran Islands