We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motion Sickness on Ferry to Inis Mor

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Motion Sickness on Ferry to Inis Mor

After reading several threads on motion sickness from the ferry from Doolin to Inis Mor, I'm concerned the trip would take the best out of me and I'd be miserable.

However, I looked into the quick plane ride out of Inverin, and I don't get motion sickness on planes.

The trip planner said it's a minimum 2 hour drive from Doolin to Inverin.

Is driving from Doolin to Inverin a reasonable option for a day trip to Inis Mor?

We are in Doolin the 2nd and 3rd week of September.

Thanks

Dun Aonghasa
Ancient Ruins, Historic Sites
Na Seacht Teampaill (The Seven Churches)
Ancient Ruins, Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,645 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Motion Sickness on Ferry to Inis Mor

Take a 'Sea Legs' or similar before your boat trip and go for it. Even if you are miserable on board, it will soon disappear after you disembark, however, with the tabs you should be fine.

Edited: 01 July 2011, 20:30
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,862 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Motion Sickness on Ferry to Inis Mor

late September I would see what the weather brings. It is not unknown for the Doolin ferries to stay at the quay and not venture out. On the other hand you could have a flat calm and wonderful weather. The larger boats from Rossaveal are an option and Doolin to there is a couple of hours so might be worth the trip if you are planning an overnight.

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Motion Sickness on Ferry to Inis Mor

My question was if you thought it was reasonable to drive to Inverin to catch a plane that goes to Inis Mor. It's a 10 minute flight from take off to touch down.

We are not staying overnight on Inis Mor so we would be driving back to our base in Doolin.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Thanks

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,862 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Motion Sickness on Ferry to Inis Mor

I was reading it that you have 2weeks in Doolin and it would do no harm to possibly have a change of scenery and make the trip to Inis Mor an overnight. It would be possible to do the return as a long day trip should the weather not be right for the crossing from Doolin.

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Motion Sickness on Ferry to Inis Mor

Two weeks in Doolin? I'd do one week in Doolin, then move up to a base in Co. Galway, for the next week.

After you check out of Doolin, drive up to Rossaveal & take one of the large ferries, or fly, to Inishmore. Then continue to your base in Co. Galway.

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Motion Sickness on Ferry to Inis Mor

We are in Doolin from the 8th, until the 15th, which is the part of the 2nd and 3rd week of September. It's not a full 2 weeks.

Sorry for the confusion. Our second base is Donegal City.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,293 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Motion Sickness on Ferry to Inis Mor

I guess a lot depends on how badly you suffer from motion sickness.

Personally, I always make the drive to Inverin as I get motion sickness even when the sea is calm.

For me, it would be worth the drive, but only you can really make the decision.

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Motion Sickness on Ferry to Inis Mor

I'm like you bannergirl and get motion sickness easily.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,645 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Motion Sickness on Ferry to Inis Mor

Sorry, you were perfectly clear, I just missed your reference to the plane in my excitement !!!

I suppose it all depends on the cost of the flight and whether the schedule suits you. It's a short plane trip - 10 minutes I believe.

To be honest there will be plently for you to see on the main island of Ireland without having to take a fliight or a ferry to the islands, so if the whole motion sickness thing is concerning you, just skip that trip.

Having said that wouldn't it be nice to try it in Ireland, I bet irish motion sickness is different to other motion sicknessess, but only you can confrim that for us in July!

Royal Oak, MI
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Motion Sickness on Ferry to Inis Mor

After talking with my husband, HE is the one who really wants to do the flight out of Inverin.

He used to own a small plane himself (BC, before children) and even though the flight is a total of 10 minutes he still wants to do it.

The cost is 45 euro per person, round trip to Inis Mor. We might even do a scenic ride.

We will make the final decision when we are in the Ireland the month of September.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Get answers to your questions about Aran Islands