We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodations on Inis Oirr

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodations on Inis Oirr

Two nights on the Aran Islands has been part of the plan for our 10 day tour of Ireland. Originally, we were looking at Inis Mor for our stay. Posting on this forum have led us to reconsider, and we are now leaning towards the smallest island: Inis Oirr.

Two questions: Tripadvisor rates Radharc An Chlair as the top b&b on the island, but all places sound fine to us, including the hotel. Any opinions on the best place to stay considering location, view, and access to ferry? Walking distance to pubs and restaurants is important.

Is the Doolin ferry a reliable transport to Inis Oirr? I've read that some ferries are delayed by weather, tides, etc. We are looking at late May for our visit, moving from there to Ennis for the Fleadh Na ( also from recommendations on this forum ) so Doolin better than Ros an Mhil.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,627 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodations on Inis Oirr

I love inisheer and have visited but I've never stayed over night....I do know the hotel is a short distance from the docks and the folks that run the pub were delightful.....we got a ride from the docks in Stiofen's (Stephen) "pope mobile", a little house on wheels....he gave us a wonderful tour of the island and his daughter, Cristina, rode inside with us to give us a great history lesson and identified sites for us....was a wonderful way to spend the day...

make sure your wife knows, there are no shops, atms., etc....you might find some locals who make and sell their wares though...such as hand knit things, etc.....had a great lunch in one of the pubs, can't remember the name of it, but it's close to the shop (kind of like a very small convenience store)....

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodations on Inis Oirr

Thank you for your reply. I am guessing that having ready euros is the best plan to pay for all services on the island. No credit cards, etc.

We know it is a very small island, and have read some recommendations especially from Tony2phones about this as an option to Inis Mor. More to see and do on the largest island, but any popular tourist place always bears some loss of authenticity. Being from NY state, I am very familiar with the usual "must sees" in NYC, but I find the best of the city is almost always a bit off the beaten path.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,627 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodations on Inis Oirr

chris, i'm not sure anyone takes cards, but they may....I popped over to look at the accommodations that have web sites and I couldn't see where any of them say they accept cards....maybe tony will know about that......

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodations on Inis Oirr

Thanks, oma, for your input. Still plenty of time between now and May to figure it all out. I have read that there are plenty of atm's in Ireland, so using them seems to be the easiest way to get euros. Is that correct, or are there better options?

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,627 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodations on Inis Oirr

chris, yes there are more than enough atms in Ireland....it is absolutely your best exchange rate, and the good part is that the irish banks don't charge a fee for getting money from their machines....

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodations on Inis Oirr

Chris, in answer to your original question about the ferry, Doolin is the most convenient for Inis Oirr.

If the weather is bad, the ferries will not operate, but hopefully you will be ok at the end of May.

Like oma, I love Inis Oirr but have never managed an overnight stay, so can't comment on the standard of accommodation but Radharc an Chlair does look very nice.

I don't know if you have had a look at this website.

http://www.inisoirr-island.com/

Also, if you suffer with motion sickness, you might want to take some medication before the sailing. No point in feeling ill when you get there:-)

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodations on Inis Oirr

Thanks for your reply. Tony2phones does prefer the smallest island. Obviously, Inishmore does have more attractions, but sometimes you don't know what you're looking for until you see it. I remember hiking in Wyoming once, and it was a great trip, but we broke out of the woods, after climbing forever, into this sunlit, mountain valley about 7,000 feet up surrounded by snow-capped mountains and that was it. The moment.

Notice you're an Ennis resident. We'll be headed down there for the Fledah right after the Aran Islands. Staying Old Ground, focusing on the music. Arriving Thursday for two nights. Any suggestions?

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodations on Inis Oirr

Chris, there will be no shortage of entertainment in nearly all the pubs while the Fleadh is on.

The food is very good in the Old Ground, both in the Poet's Corner bar and the more upmarket Town Hall restaurant. There will also be plenty of music in the Old Ground while you are there.

You might be interested in the walking tour to give you a feel for the history of the town.

http://www.enniswalkingtours.com

You might also get some ideas on here :

www.visitennis.ie

If you need any specific recommendations for lunch or dinner while you are here, please let me know.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodations on Inis Oirr

Thanks, bannergirl, the links look great. Am especially interested in the walking tour. That's the only way to see any town, big or small.

10. Re: Accomodations on Inis Oirr

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 November 2014, 06:20
Get answers to your questions about Aran Islands