We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aran Island daytrip from Dublin

4 posts
Save Topic
Aran Island daytrip from Dublin

Has anyone tried this ? Train to Galway - leaves at 8 and arrives at 10:20. Then shuttle bus to Connemara Airport for a 11:30 flight to Inishmore. Everything has to work like clockwork to make the connections but it also looks like it was made to be scheduled this way. Any thoughts ?

Beaufort, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
Level Contributor
3,992 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aran Island daytrip from Dublin

The very best of luck with that. You'll need it!! Lol! Personally, I wouldn't dream of attempting it.

4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Aran Island daytrip from Dublin

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
13,183 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aran Island daytrip from Dublin

Try it and let us know!!

The day everything works like clockwork in Ireland has to happen someday!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,594 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aran Island daytrip from Dublin

Personally I wouldn't attempt it... but ...

I think CIE tours do this as a daytrip, I was with some of their customers leaving Inis Mór by plane one evening but the plane was cancelled and we had to take the boat... they still made it to their rail connection albeit with 5 minutes to spare!

Good luck!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
3,428 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aran Island daytrip from Dublin

You're absolutely at the mercy of a delayed train.

If you really want to do it as a day trip (why not stay in Galway the night before?), there's a bus at 6:45 that gives you a lot more margin for delay.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
8,531 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Aran Island daytrip from Dublin

Here's a 'Luxury' Tour from Dublin to Aran Islands (read Inisheer, or, in Irish: Inis Oírr,) from Doolin Co Clare to spend 3 hours on the island.

Back to Doolin and thence to Limerick (time to explore at your leisure!!), before catching coach back to Dublin:

I suppose if everything along the way becomes part of the trip and you just want a quick look on the island, then go for it:

Edited: 18 March 2014, 17:33
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Aran Island daytrip from Dublin

Thanks, all. I get the message ... going to rent a car and head over a bit earlier that morning. Again, thank you.

8. Re: Aran Island daytrip from Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Aran Islands
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question