We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doolin vs Galway & Aran Island Ferries B&B deal

Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
192 reviews
Save Topic
Doolin vs Galway & Aran Island Ferries B&B deal

We are looking at spending one night (so much to see and so little time!) on Inis Mor in July. As we are driving up from Dingle It would be slightly closer to leave from Doolin, but Aran Island Ferries offers a 50 Euro ferry and B&B deal out of Galway / Rossaveal.

What are the pros and cons of leaving from Doolin vs Rossveal? Has anyone used the Aran Ferries B&B package? We will have a car so parking overnight is also a consideration at each of the two ports. If we choose Rossveal should we leave our car in Galway and take the shuttle, or park in Rossveal?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Dun Aonghasa
Ancient Ruins, Historic Sites
Na Seacht Teampaill (The Seven Churches)
Ancient Ruins, Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas
Maryland
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doolin vs Galway & Aran Island Ferries B&B deal

I cannot speak from the Doolin prospective, only Galway. It is cheaper to park your car at Rossaveel for €5, I believe, than in Galway overnite and take the transport bus to the ferry point. Experts will correct me if I am in error. The ferry from Ross was around €23-25-ish so it looks like you may be getting a good deal for overnite accommodation for only another €25.

Cheers !

Sunny

Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doolin vs Galway & Aran Island Ferries B&B deal

Thanks so much for the info! I hope someone will have had experience with the B&B deal - it seems too good to be true!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,759 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doolin vs Galway & Aran Island Ferries B&B deal

Doolin for Inis Oirr. Rossaveal for Inis Mor and either for Inis Mean. I would though break the trip from Dingle to Galway and see a few sights (the cliffs and burren eco park alone being twice the size of dingle peninsula).

Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doolin vs Galway & Aran Island Ferries B&B deal

Thank you for the tips. We will have been fortunate enough to have already been in the area on a guided tour but the Aran Islands are not included. As we are flying out of Shannon, it seemed possible to have a small taste of the islands for our last night.

Online guides suggest it will take just under four hours to travel from Portmagee to either Doolin or Galway but then we add another hour from Galway to Rossaveal. And there will be stops! I just wondered if there is any benefit to choosing the Galway route and adding that hour each way or if we should just head to Doolin. I understand that the ferries there are seasonal, but as we are there in July that shouldn't be an issue.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Doolin vs Galway & Aran Island Ferries B&B deal

Two, you had mentioned that you are staying on the island for your last night, I would strongly recommend that you NOT do so. They ferries are weather dependent (though less likely to be affected from Rossaveal) and you certainly do not want to have to catch the ferry a zip to Shannon. You will need to be at the airport at least 3 hours in advance and if they ferry is having issues, you may miss your flight all together (and then incur a very hefty one-way flight cost). Way too risky in my humble opinion!

Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doolin vs Galway & Aran Island Ferries B&B deal

Agreed. I should have been more specific - it's our last unplanned night We do have an early flight home so we will be staying in Shannon the night before flying out. Hoping to take the 1pm ferry over to Inis Mor and the last ferry back the next day for a short drive to Shannon and a few hours' sleep.

Center Moriches...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doolin vs Galway & Aran Island Ferries B&B deal

Day trip also an option from Doolin to Inis Oirr if you are squeezed for time.

8. Re: Doolin vs Galway & Aran Island Ferries B&B deal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Aran Islands