We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

time from doolin to rossaveal ferry

Essexville, Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
time from doolin to rossaveal ferry

Hi,

Does any one know the time from Doolin to Rosseveal ferry? I get conflicting times from the internet. If we leave at 0800 from Doolin, can we make it by 10am? It will be a monday morning, May 1st.

Thanks

debra

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,782 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: time from doolin to rossaveal ferry

I would say no since you are going to be traveling through Galway during 'rush hour'. Why are you not going from Doolin to the Aran Islands?

it is 2 hours 5 minutes using AA Route planner and it is recommended to add 20-30% to that time (WITHOUT considering rush hour traffic). So I would say no hope of making it. I have been in Galway late afternoon time (around 4) and it took about 1 1/2 times the amount of time it should have to make it through the city and that was with no accidents.

For time planning you can use this: https://www.theaa.ie/routes/#/ and add 20-30% more time to the estimates to account for animals, farm vehicles, etc.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: time from doolin to rossaveal ferry

I would be leaving Doolin out of the equation and staying in Spiddal the night before a sailing from Rossaveal or flight from Invaran.

If you have to be in Doolin the night before then unfortunately sucking up for that longer crossing, presumably Inis Mor is the way to go or do what I do Inis Oirr.

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Connemara, The Burren, Galway, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
3,816 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: time from doolin to rossaveal ferry

It's doable but I would be "out the gap" by 7 am. You will hit some traffic in Galway but as you are heading along the Coast Road (R336) as opposed to the N59, you should be okay.

Galway is a good base for the flight from Indreabhán (Inverin) or the ferry from Ros a' Mhíl

I always fly over now and there is a good selection of flight times too.

http://aerarannislands.ie/

Essexville, Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: time from doolin to rossaveal ferry

thanks every one,

but I am bound at a B&B in doolin. it is the closest I could get the night before. I thought of the plane, but I was told that they don't fly in May (May1st). I like that idea best.

I then thought of the 1330 ferry but would that give us much time on the island since the return is 1830 and it takes some time to get there.

I thought of leaving at 0700 and possibly missing the farmers, but would 0800-0830time be rush hour also.

or should we just forget the islands all together.

If it was just my family we would skip breakfast and leave at 0600 and eat in rosseveal if we had the time, but I have friends with me and they may not want to get up that early and miss the free breakfast.

I guess it all comes down to how bad they want to see the islands, or I just say suck it up we are going at 0600...but then I could be miss judging them also.

always looking for feed back

debra

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Connemara, The Burren, Galway, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
3,816 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: time from doolin to rossaveal ferry

~~~But I was told that they don't fly in May (May1st). I like that idea best.~~~

Where did you hear that - we're heading over on Friday and I was going to book the flights tomorrow.

If you leave by 7.00 am from Doolin you should easily do it. Or else leave later and get the 11.30 flight and the last flight back at 17.15

Edited: 16 April 2017, 17:31
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: time from doolin to rossaveal ferry

I would stick with Inis Oirr if you are tied to staying in Doolin. travelhag.com/2013/…

Essexville, Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: time from doolin to rossaveal ferry

thanks again everybody...

what time would it be if I beat the rush hour in Ireland ?

8. Re: time from doolin to rossaveal ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2018, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Inishmore