We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aran islands with the elderly

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Aran islands with the elderly

We are finalizing our Ireland trip with most everything booked but have a question regarding the Aran Islands. We are traveling with my 84 year old in laws, planning on taking the ferry from Galway and would like to bike while there. They wouldn't be able to but would like to take a tour while we are biking. Will the minivan tour keep them busy for a few hours while we bike? Or would they be able to do the pony carriage. Also, my father in law will have his guide dog. Any issues with him on the island or ferry boat?

As always, thanks for your help!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,002 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aran islands with the elderly

Pony carriage would be very uncomfortable for a 42 year old, never mind an 84 year old. I read on the website that the tour takes between 2.5 and 3 hours which suggests to me a number of stops to allow passengers out to walk around and explore. Also, check with them that they can accommodate the guide dog on the minivan.

I'd guess the minivan tour could be a little bumpy and swervy!!! Only your in laws will know if they will enjoy that part of the trip.

Let us know how you get on for future travelers in a similar situation.

Edited: 16 August 2017, 08:47
Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Connemara, The Burren, Galway, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
3,816 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aran islands with the elderly

There should be no problem with the dog, I saw many people with their dogs over on Inis Oírr (Inisheer) last week with some onboard the horse and carts too with their respective owners. It was wonderful to see.

But you're Inis Mór (Inishmore) bound and the best advice I can give you is to spend as much time as possible exploring the sites, many make it up to Dún Aonghasa and loop back down again. Go over as far as Kilmurvey Beach and start going left taking you over to the beehive cell at Clochán na Carraige (which is just on the right), a terrific example of an early Christian dwelling on the island, sometime around the 8th century. It's signposted and don't be afraid to ask for directions.

There's a large stone fort too in the area but if not that particular one then heading back to Kilronan make it over to the disused lighthouse and from there you will see the incredible stone fort right there - Dún Eochla. The elevated views of the whole island are amazing

www.megalithicireland.com/Dun%20Eochla.html

As regards the in-laws sure they too will have an amazing time but pick a spot to meet them after they finish their tour of the island. Several places in and around Kilronan.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aran islands with the elderly

Well, unless vastly changed the fort is a pretty longish bumpy walk.

aranislands.ie/dun-aonghasa-world-heritage-s…

However, many other good sites can be seen with a van/bus tour.

https:/…Attraction_Review-g551521-d3160005-

The lighthouse viewing sounds great.

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Connemara, The Burren, Galway, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
3,816 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aran islands with the elderly

The long and bumpy walk is still there. Not for the OP's in laws but the OP should go there.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,279 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aran islands with the elderly

we took the van tour year before last and it lasted well over 2 hours...was really nice since it was raining :-)

don't forget to take a scoop and bags along for cleaning up after the dog.....

6. Re: Aran islands with the elderly

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2018, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Inishmore