We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aran Islands in winter?

Boston...
2 posts
Save Topic
Aran Islands in winter?

I will be in Ireland next week (January) and was thinking of taking my elderly mom to Inishmore for one night. She's a hardy soul, so I think would not be bothered by rugged weather, but she also walks with a cane. So I was thinking I'd try to get a place to stay by the ferry so we don't have to go too far, but also give us access to town so we head to a pub or two in town in the evening.

Is this a crazy plan, or should we try it some other time during the summer? Can one take the ferry in the winter? And any recommendation of a place to stay in town close to the ferry and some pubs?

Jack-a-roe

Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aran Islands in winter?

Not a winter place unless you are native.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,071 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aran Islands in winter?

Ferry from Rossaveal runs year round but it is weather dependent. I would agree with Harvey, I think the islands are for the hardy in winter

Boston...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Aran Islands in winter?

Thanks so much for the help.

Fort Montgomery...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aran Islands in winter?

Same question - but with the date moved out to next week (March 11) - oh, and no hardy mom with a cane - just a couple of 45-year-olds! :) Do you experts recommend that we go to Inishmore? Thanks so much for your help.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aran Islands in winter?

Absolutely, warm waterproof clothes though, hat scarf and gloves! Check the weather before you go and try to pick a day when the wind is low and the seas are calm.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aran Islands in winter?

I can't think if any "attractions" on Inis Mor that it's possible to actually close due to bad weather, most/all are free and unmanned, do exercise your own caution when going to places though, being on the side of cliffs, Dun Aengus and Dun Duchathair may not be the best places to be if it's blowing a gale! Similarly Poll an bPeist and the Blow Holes!

Fort Montgomery...
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aran Islands in winter?

Thanks, Lollymcd, for the quick response! Leaving in just a couple of days now!

8. Re: Aran Islands in winter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 21:18
Get answers to your questions about Inishmore